Swiss Oxygen Probe

You asked for a photo when the probe arrived from Econox, so here it is.  The probe arrived in a sturdy wooden box with a screwed down lid.  Included were the probe and meter, a loose ceramic tube to use as a sheath, a narrow hose to connect for fresh air, and a device that filters the air.  Manual.  And an Econox baseball cap!  I'll need to figure out how to cut the loose ceramic tube,  because it is too long for the probe.  I'll also need to figure out where and how to insert it.

probe.jpeg.826d292783f4bb92df7e72c0da87a30b.jpeg

36 minutes ago, redbourn said:

You asked for a photo when the probe arrived from Econox, so here it is.  The probe arrived in a sturdy wooden box with a screwed down lid.  Included were the probe and meter, a loose ceramic tube to use as a sheath, a narrow hose to connect for fresh air, and a device that filters the air.  Manual.  And an Econox baseball cap!  I'll need to figure out how to cut the loose ceramic tube,  because it is too long for the probe.  I'll also need to figure out where and how to insert it.

probe.jpeg.826d292783f4bb92df7e72c0da87a30b.jpeg

Looks same same! Vent is for the center of the tube I assume.  Only two wires likely means you would need to add the third to read the R thermocouple temperature if my speculation is correct.

I was able to cut the protection tube with a diamond wet saw. Nice and slow and even, it’s easy to chip at the very end of the cut. I was also able to take a stainless hose clamp and bridge the ceramic to the metal ferrule. That way I could embed the protection tube in the kiln permanently and simply slide the O2 in and out for service. I did end up stuffing a bit of insulation in the very back end of the protection tube after the probe was nearly fully inserted just to keep the kiln atmosphere from leaking out and overheating the metal ferrule.

I like my probe tip completely covered to protect the wire as it get very bittle over time.about a 1/4 back in.

I to suggest a wet diamond saw and go slow -really this is the only way. I have use a dry diamond in remote places a am building kilns in like say Molokai. Yusally the tube will chip out.

In terms of sealing I use the high heat tape thats used in heat and plumbing vents-its silver foil and the one side has a paper backing that comes off. It air seals very well and can some heat. I install my meter is the kiln permanently and do not move them around so that last a long time (lost of firinmg cycles)Both of mine are installed in the door and are part of that. I would suggest if its possiable to use Paul Geils suggestion if you have soft brick in lower poart of chimney before the damper is where his are installed-the probe is subject to lower temps and lasts much longer and is also out of harms way. My downdraft has a hard brick stack and I have yet to want to drill that hole in hardback-my other kiln is an updraft so thats out as well. If I buy my friends Geil kiln I'll mount one in that lower stack for sure.

I can mail you a piece of  high heat tape if you need it just PM me the details

Carefull of that wire when handling

Thats strange as all my meter are 3 wire as well.

Archived