HELP! Skutt KS-1027, top & bottom elements failed?

Hey there, i'm pretty new to ceramics, i've only fired my kiln (that was soo generously given to me in good shape, i thought) approximately 10 times. Mostly bisque firing. A couple low fire glazes. Everything was fine until the last couple firings when the bottom element(s) quit working. I fired it once after got it up to the proper cone temp just took a little bit longer but the last firing took quite a bit more time so i was investigating and it appears that now the top element(s) has gone out as well.

Looking for replacements tells me that there are 2 elements for the top and 2 for the bottom although when looking at it it appears that there are just 1 in the top and 1 in the bottom, if 1 end of the element goes into 1 insulator goes through the channels and the other end goes into the other insulator? Or is that not how what works, do you put both ends of and element through 1 insulator? I'm sorry if im being ignorant but i've never worked on one of these before and i'd like to make sure that I really do need to purchase 4 elements before I spend $200 on them. Also is it common to have 2 go out at the same time? Or is it possible that 1 is out in both the top and bottom and 1 is still good but won't heat because 1 is bad? and if so is there a way to check which is bad or just go ahead and replace them both? 

If its neccessary I will get it done, but if not i'd rather not spend anything I don't have to with the state the country is in right now money is a bit tight. This hobby is what i'm using as therapy right  now to cope with a tragic life event so i'd like to get it back in working order as quickly as possible but i'm lacking in understanding. I've taught myself everything Ive learned so far as there are no classes or anyone else that does this in the sticks where im from and im sure i could firgure it out but I thought i'd skip google and ask people that might have 1st hand knowledge for a quicker result. I'll be traveling to an area that might have a store where I could purchase elements tomorrow if I knew what I needed.

Thank you all so very much for your time!

Your kiln has 6 elements, two in each ring. Each element loops twice. If both elements in a section are dead, then it's more likely that the switch is dead rather than the elements. With the kiln empty, turn everything on high and let it run for a few minutes. Carefully crack the lid and see if the elements are glowing- it's easier if the lights are dimmed/off. It could take 5-10 minutes. The very top and very bottom elements will glow first, followed by the four in the middle. If both elements in a section are dead, then it's probably the switch. If just one is dead, then it's probably a dead element or a fried connection. Since it's a KS model, they can sometimes be tricky to open up and check the wiring, depending on how old it is. Does it have hinged control boxes, or interbox plugs (boxes that plug into each other)?

Are the element coils starting to lay over on each other or bunch up? That's a good sign that they're worn out.

7 hours ago, chelle87 said:

Hey there, i'm pretty new to ceramics, i've only fired my kiln (that was soo generously given to me in good shape, i thought) approximately 10 times. Mostly bisque firing. A couple low fire glazes. Everything was fine until the last couple firings when the bottom element(s) quit working. I fired it once after got it up to the proper cone temp just took a little bit longer but the last firing took quite a bit more time so i was investigating and it appears that now the top element(s) has gone out as well.

Looking for replacements tells me that there are 2 elements for the top and 2 for the bottom although when looking at it it appears that there are just 1 in the top and 1 in the bottom, if 1 end of the element goes into 1 insulator goes through the channels and the other end goes into the other insulator? Or is that not how what works, do you put both ends of and element through 1 insulator? I'm sorry if im being ignorant but i've never worked on one of these before and i'd like to make sure that I really do need to purchase 4 elements before I spend $200 on them. Also is it common to have 2 go out at the same time? Or is it possible that 1 is out in both the top and bottom and 1 is still good but won't heat because 1 is bad? and if so is there a way to check which is bad or just go ahead and replace them both? 

If its neccessary I will get it done, but if not i'd rather not spend anything I don't have to with the state the country is in right now money is a bit tight. This hobby is what i'm using as therapy right  now to cope with a tragic life event so i'd like to get it back in working order as quickly as possible but i'm lacking in understanding. I've taught myself everything Ive learned so far as there are no classes or anyone else that does this in the sticks where im from and im sure i could firgure it out but I thought i'd skip google and ask people that might have 1st hand knowledge for a quicker result. I'll be traveling to an area that might have a store where I could purchase elements tomorrow if I knew what I needed.

Thank you all so very much for your time!

Neil is spot on, here is your wiring diagram. It should help. Two elements per section so four ceramic insulators = two elements. Each set  tied to  a 3 heat switch.

your diagram https://skutt.com/images/12.KS-KS1018-KS1027-KS1227-3-1ph.pdf

Thank you guys very much for your replies. very helpful, as was the diagram.  I have hinged boxes that open. i've only got the middle lighting up, nothing from the top or bottom rings. how is a switch repaired? Also the elements aren't bunching up, i do have one spot where it refuses to stay in the corner on the very top i have to tuck it constantly. Can't see a break anywhere.

2 hours ago, chelle87 said:

Thank you guys very much for your replies. very helpful, as was the diagram.  I have hinged boxes that open. i've only got the middle lighting up, nothing from the top or bottom rings. how is a switch repaired? Also the elements aren't bunching up, i do have one spot where it refuses to stay in the corner on the very top i have to tuck it constantly. Can't see a break anywhere.

Easy way is to test with a meter. Herę are some  resources https://skutt.com/skutt-resources/repairs/

Skutt and you tube have  a number of resources you can read and watch.

Three heat switch illustration of how it works

Archived