My take on the situation

My pottery was intended to be the culmination of my work life.  I did 35 years at a "regular" job, so that now I'm a full time potter.  Not a production potter, as it turns out, because,now in our current weird ass 2020 world, I have no deadlines.  We actually don't know what's going to happen next.  With my basics covered, my pottery is saying "what do you really want to do?"  I was trying to fill the kiln on some what of a schedule, and now, there is no schedule.  I'm still locked into my c/s thing, but what is my best realization of that with what I have now?      SO COOL

Plus, I have all the toys.

4 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

My pottery was intended to be the culmination of my work life.  I did 35 years at a "regular" job, so that now I'm a full time potter.  Not a production potter, as it turns out, because,now in our current weird ass 2020 world, I have no deadlines.  We actually don't know what's going to happen next.  With my basics covered, my pottery is saying "what do you really want to do?"  I was trying to fill the kiln on some what of a schedule, and now, there is no schedule.  I'm still locked into my c/s thing, but what is my best realization of that with what I have now?      SO COOL

I've also found myself wandering into new ceramic areas.  Did some handbuilding today, it's just hand built elements added to a wheel thrown form but it was a lot of fun.

I feel more like zombie still doing what I have always done no matter what the future brings.

One thing that I always come back to is in the 4-5 downturns I have been thru pottery is/was /and will be  always recession proof. Not the high end side which for rich folks never varies much but for the working class. The folks I make and sell to. In the lean years the small stuff sells super well.. If I can pass any knowledge on in lean times to new potters it that.forget the big stuff now as we are heading into a low economic  place and its world wide so its bound to take a long time coming around. that said it is weird to be cranking out pots with no market in mind. Its always worked and it will again.Gotta go cones are dropping

On 4/9/2020 at 12:02 AM, CactusPots said:

While this is, of course, a difficult time for many people, I think that we can take this time to try to think about what we want to do for the future and make plans. Planning is so underrated and this couldn't possibly be a very productive time if we make it one.

Archived