Minor pinholing help

I just fired my first glaze kiln 2 days ago and finally cracked it opened this afternoon at 150°. Each piece has at least 2-5 larger pinholes that are very noticeable. My clay body is a buff stoneware that fires between cone 2-7 and I’m using amaco PC glazes in an electric kiln. I just realized that my cone 6 setting on my kiln is closer to a cone 5 than it is a 6. My cone 7 setting is a cone 6. Should I refire to my cone 7 setting? The pinholes are really noticeable, and I don’t want to sell them looking like this..

B6F67F22-2A4F-4321-A645-90922A4872F9.jpeg

0B235CEB-3056-45C3-8817-3FD2D72D9B90.jpeg

A8BF4F0E-3C35-4C42-B1B9-0FD4B69B16F6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ryleigh said:

250°/hr to cone 04

Try slowing down between 1200 and 1700f a bit.  Sometimes bisquing too fast will cause incomplete combustion of organics and sulfides. These can then later combust during a glaze fire.  People who fire darker stonewares know it quite well and adjust accordingly.  

Some people just hold at 1700 for a bit on the way up, but the idea is to burn these out before the glaze firing to minimize gassiness.

It may not be your entire issue, but it's where I'd start since you don't mix your own glaze.

6 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Try slowing down between 1200 and 1700f a bit.  Sometimes bisquing too fast will cause incomplete combustion of organics and sulfides. These can then later combust during a glaze fire.  People who fire darker stonewares know it quite well and adjust accordingly.  

Some people just hold at 1700 for a bit on the way up, but the idea is to burn these out before the glaze firing to minimize gassiness.

It may not be your entire issue, but it's where I'd start since you don't mix your own glaze.

I’ll definitely try that with my next bisque firing! Now that I think about it that makes a lot of sense with the way some of the larger pinholes look. I would eventually like to mix my own glazes so I can dip. I am currently brushing on all of my glazes and it is very time consuming and expensive. 

5 hours ago, Ryleigh said:

250°/hr to cone 04

This might be helpful
Here is a popular slow bisque for automatic kilns that has been used very successfully for years and slows down in the right places to complete burnout that you can try. Many get by with the fast bisque as well. Depends on your clay.

5F42E718-B992-440C-8CF7-B23D11C421BE.jpeg

23 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

This might be helpful
Here is a popular slow bisque for automatic kilns that has been used very successfully for years and slows down in the right places to complete burnout that you can try. Many get by with the fast bisque as well. Depends on your clay.

5F42E718-B992-440C-8CF7-B23D11C421BE.jpeg

Thank you, that is helpful! 

Archived