Cone 6 dark midfire clay not turning out the right colour

Liam V

I've been testing out this midfire clay, but whenever I fire it to cone 6, it turns out a very different colour. It's suppose to look like the dark brown cup on the left side of the image but instead turns out a much lighter colour. I've been told that it could be the firing schedule and that higher temperatures burn out the colour. Does anyone have any experience with this and could offer me some advice?  I'm currently using a default program on the vc6-bartlett with an olympic kiln.

89933285_1320499215004187_7938235242555375616_n.jpg

89974865_207751400437221_2425160116979367936_n.jpg

Reduction versus oxidation firing will make a difference to fired clay colour. If the sample was fired in an electric kiln (oxidation) and you are firing in oxidation and reaching the same maturation cone 6 then the schedule shouldn't have anything to do with the final colour of the claybody. What is the name of the claybody?

18 hours ago, Min said:

Reduction versus oxidation firing will make a difference to fired clay colour. If the sample was fired in an electric kiln (oxidation) and you are firing in oxidation and reaching the same maturation cone 6 then the schedule shouldn't have anything to do with the final colour of the claybody. What is the name of the claybody?

It's called - Clayworks Clay : Mid Fire Chris Dark Speckle 30#

I was under the impression that I could achieve that dark brown in oxidation, as the storeperson I was discussing it with earlier in the year knew I use an electric kiln. I also believe it only vitrifies at cone 6.

@Hulk, I just looked up the clay and that stock image comes up for both the Clayworks Chris's Dark Speckle Midfire and the Light version of it. Maybe it's just a mixup of labels on the bags of clay? It does look like a midfire claybody.

Archived