kiln operation

Hello, im new to the forum and also to ceramics so please bear with me if i come across a little stupid, i have bought second hand, a cromartie kiln that came with a simple ipco studio 1800 controller. i have only fired it three times but i keep having what seems to be the same problem, on the last firing i set the ramp to 130c and a top temp of 1222 and away it goes, it ramps nicely for four hours up to 520c then in the next hour raises to 860c (+340c )and the next hour another 260c i cant hear the contacts so i assume it must be on full, it carries on rising until it promptly turns itself off at the desired temperature   i have noticed that the mimic on the controller shows two separate light up arrows on the ramp that light up individually, could there be a second ramp setting that i am missing (not mentioned in the somewhat sketchy instructions) or is there a fault, many thanks and any advice would be much appreciated

Could be a better online manual.

Unfamiliar with what you have got.

What is temp rise/hour?

Ok the second ramp is jumping to 320degC/ hr that is really a fast ramp. Can you key in differentC/ hr depending on stage of firing.

Sounds like you can if there are a series of lights on your ramp curve.

Try keying in 130 to 600 

Then 150 to 1100

Then 80 to final temp and see what gives.

U should be able to flick through what you have programmed...

Looks like this model only has one ramp.  I can't find much info about it, no sales leaflets, only the (sparse) instructions.

What are the fired results like?   

I'm wondering if it has a built-in " go slowly until quartz inversion, then go as fast as possible to top temperature."

I use an IPCO controller, but it is a more sophisticated model that allows multiple ramps.  I usually set it for very slow ramp to 99C, then slow to 550, then fast as poss to top temp, so it might  be mimicking that kind of firing.

Thank you for your reply's, i have looked at the manual again and there is a page on configuration, it looks like it is default setting is to ramp as you choose up to 600c it then takes it out of your hands and runs up to your final setting before turning off, this seems to be the case weather you are firing bisque or glaze i can choose to change this setting but as a new starter i really  wouldn't know to what, it seems like a strange sort of setup to me but at least i can rest knowing that the kiln is not just flying off at a tangent on its own whim. obviously any advise from anyone with more experience than me " that would be anybody on this forum by the way" would be very much appreciated, many thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie  Vin

• 1 year later...

Hi, This was a helpful string until the bottom! I hope you have found a solution?  Have you dared change the configuration? The instructions say it should only be modified by an experienced personnel… not sure with those instructions how you get to that point :/ if you’ve managed to get to that second ramp, would you mind updating this string? I may try to sit down and work out the instructions but I too don’t want to spoil my work!!

thanks ;)

Archived