Support for sculpture while firing?

MegH

Hey there!  I am relatively new to ceramics but I have completely fallen in love with it and built myself a studio.  Soooo...I don’t have much support. I’m hoping this cool community can help me out. 

I'm building a sculpture and I anticipate that some structural support during firing might be beneficial.   Any ideas?  Firebrick?   Kiln shelf furniture? I see that I can purchase cone ten firerods but they are only 9 gauge which I’m just not too sure will be beefy enough.   What’s the largest firerod (gauge and length) on the market?

Thanks for any ideas!

welcome to the forum!  never heard of firerods but yes, you can use firebrick etc.

nothing like taking on a big project.  while working on the sculpture, you can try all kinds of things to support the figure.  if it still needs support in the firing, try making something from the same clay you work with.   

there are lots of ways to learn how to make the sculpture.  i am so old that i read all the books published in the 1860-70s.  there are youtube videos today and everyone thinks they are great. you did not mention if you have already studied sculpture so maybe i am just babbling to an expert.

sculpture must be hollowed out or made hollow as you work.  it is a whole different animal from my own work but i encourage you to start.  several members here make beautiful sculptures,  try looking in our gallery to find something like you want to make and contact the member for advice.

Thanks Chilly and OldLady for your thoughts and recommendations.  I built a solid stand today to help in the building process but I still have more supports to create. I appreciate your ideas for firing and will try them out!  Thank you!

Archived