Paragon kiln a-66b not firing to ^6 temp

Guanchan

Hello

I have a manual paragon kiln with a kiln sitter. I tried to first glaze fire my pots for cone 6. It was on high for 15-17 hours. 

checking it periodically, and waiting for the kiln sitter to trip. After 17 I figured something is not right so I turned it off. 

I checked the pots in the morning. No shine, kinda looks like when I put it in. 

On the high setting  the coils turns red and hot  I was able to bisque fire it to 06  

please help  

50 minutes ago, Guanchan said:

Hello

I have a manual paragon kiln with a kiln sitter. I tried to first glaze fire my pots for cone 6. It was on high for 15-17 hours. 

checking it periodically, and waiting for the kiln sitter to trip. After 17 I figured something is not right so I turned it off. 

I checked the pots in the morning. No shine, kinda looks like when I put it in. 

On the high setting  the coils turns red and hot  I was able to bisque fire it to 06  

please help  

As Neil mentioned above. This is a small kiln with a four way switch so checking operation of the switch could also be worth a look. The manual is available on the paragon website and has some tips on maintenance.

2EC6EC57-B20D-4F15-A7EC-C37E35115D3C.jpeg

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yes I check the operation of the kiln.

On high the all coils get red hot. Med setting the bottom get red and low just warm. 

@neilestrick how do you replace the element and where do I buy them? And what kind?  Paragon ?

The element are old but everything looks to be in place. Is that the only solution?  

14 minutes ago, Guanchan said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yes I check the operation of the kiln.

On high the all coils get red hot. Med setting the bottom get red and low just warm. 

@neilestrick how do you replace the element and where do I buy them? And what kind?  
should I look on YouTube and follow a tutorial?  

The paragon manual shows replacement. Elements are available from paragon and many suppliers but many find Euclids can supply just about any elements you want.

Euclids https://www.euclids.com/

Paragon manual and parts (bottom of page) https://www.paragonweb.com/A-66B_Discontinued.cfm

Paragon standard sidewall element replacement video: 

48 minutes ago, Guanchan said:

Thanks for your help and information. 

I’m assuming I need to buy two elements. One for top and one for the bottom. 

Yes, two new elements. They wear out together.

Just to add, as soon as you can, take the ceramic element insulator out and set it somewhere safe. Sometimes folks poke the new element through and the insulator tumbles out, falls and cracks. Better to install when you are ready to put the connector back on trapping it in place.

I would replace them all at once since they most likely are all the same age .No matter how they glow.Especially if cone 6 is what you are going to fire to temp wise.Just get a whole new set.That way they will all age the same. Remember to fire kiln empty the 1st time to cure the elects as well. I just did all this 3 weeks ago myself in a Skutt 1227 manual kiln

Archived