Shim slab roller issues

SueP

I have had a Bailey Mini Mite slab roller for about 5 months. At first it worked great. I used it to make a ton of holiday decorations.  I have used it about a dozen and a half times now but I am at the point where I practically have to pre-roll the slab and finish it off with the Bailey to get anything out if it.

I keep the rollers wiped with a barely damp clean sponge after use.  I am using soft clay (from a fresh bag) i have slammed and wedged, and i keep the first slab reasonably slim with  a "ramp" at the leading edge. I run each progressive size thru the rollers at least 2 times before adding another shim.

With just one small shim addition I find all the shims sliding ahead of the slab and/or the fold edge starts curling up. Am I forgetting to do something? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to the shims or rollers to keep them from slipping? 

Thank you in advance.

Sue-

Are you releasing the slab from both sides of the canvas and creating a new “ramp” on the leading edge before adding a new shim? Sounds as if the clay can’t expand between the two layers of canvas due to it’s being stuck to one or both surfaces.

Regards,

Fred

• 8 months later...

As a follow up for others who may encounter this: I spoke with Bailey and they told me to first check the set screw on the top roller at the back (inside the plastic housing.). It sometimes slips off the flat surface of the roller rod so the roller isn't grabbing well. If this doesn't work and it turns out that the surface of the rollers has become worn smooth (which he says usually takes a long time - many years) they recommend removing the rollers, masking off the ends and spraying them uniformly with a light coat 3M Super 77 (spray mount adhesive).  Allow it to cure for 24 hours before reinstalling. They have a machine they have been using like this for 5 years and it's still going strong.  The rollers can be recoated if necessary.

Archived