Persistent Newbie Crater Glaze Fails!

Dan_W

Hi everybody. I've recently started working with ceramics in loose connection to some architectural research I'm undertaking.

I'm trying to make a crater glaze, which according to everything I've read, shouldn't be so hard (right?!?!?). For my starting point, I've made a number of variations using this recipe as a guideline:

https://glazy.org/recipes/21422

However, when being fired (kiln sitter, cone 6) nothing is happening. The glaze is coming out identical to when it goes in, as with this morning's heartbreak:

421595008_fail1.jpg.e3cecacbb3f3e4d6ed7545573fcc7ca9.jpg

The same results have happened regardless of the clay body or increases in the silicon carbide. Strangely, when I applied the mixture to a broken scrap which had already been glazed, there did seem to be a reaction with this pre-existing commercial glaze.

IMG_6601.JPEG.86afb60ea2a2409b81492c544b02bc5c.JPEG

I'm wondering if there might be some rookie issue I am overlooking here? Any help would be greatly appreciated and would leave me indebted to you for life ;)

The Glazy recipe you linked is basically the ^6 Marilee Lava glaze recipe. Amounts rounded off to whole numbers except the silicon carbide amount is a fair bit different. Glazy recipe is 1.2% versus 3.4% for the Marilee Lava recipe. Other variable might be the mesh size of the silicon carbide you use. I believe you will get a better crater/lava effect with a coarse grade of silicon carbide, about 100 mesh. I'ld do a progression blend, base plus 1% silicon carbide, dip or brush on a test tile then add another 0.50% silicon carbide and repeat. Keep going until you get up to 4%. Results are not going to be precise as each time you dip a tile you are removing some of the base amount but it will get you in the ballpark. I'ld probably do this test with a 200 gram base amount. (protect your kiln shelves with a good layer of wash and put the pieces away from the elements)

I’m just about to start experimenting with crater glazes and the plan is start on some test pieces with the Marilee recipe.  Min, you mention protecting the kiln shelves and keeping away from the elements....I assume from that that I can expect some glaze splatter?  If that is the case I assume I’m going to have problems firing pots on the same kiln shelf. 

Yes, they can spit. How far and how badly is going to depend on the glaze, might be an issue, might not be. One other thing, I've come across lava/crater recipes using cryolite or fluorspar, if you try those be very careful in the firing of them. Both cryolite and fluorspar release fluorine gas which is both a severe irritant and poisonous. If you find the glaze doesn't melt enough then bump up the whiting.

4 minutes ago, Min said:

Yes, they can spit. How far and how badly is going to depend on the glaze, might be an issue, might not be. One other thing, I've come across lava/crater recipes using cryolite or fluorspar, if you try those be very careful in the firing of them. Both cryolite and fluorspar release fluorine gas which is both a severe irritant and poisonous. If you find the glaze doesn't melt enough then bump up the whiting.

Nothing like a little hydrofluoric acid to brighten up your day :lol:

Archived