Using high fire glaze on low fire bisque

Kammymckenna

You need your clay and glaze to mature at the same cone. Do not fire earthenware clay to cone 6 or it will melt. Do not fire cone 6 glazes to cone 04 or they won't melt. In general, we bisque to cone 06-04 regardless of the glaze firing temperature. If you bisque hotter than that, the clay will not be porous and it will be difficult to glaze.

3 hours ago, Kammymckenna said:

Has anyone tried it?  I searched online and didn't find anything.   I have a ^6 celadon glaze I want to use on ^05 bisque.

Everything above is spot on! Mid and high fire clay only sinter at low fire temps, they don’t begin to melt into a solid fired clay product. Same with glazes designed for cone six fired to lowfire temperatures. It likely won’t be a decent glass.

The only exception I can think of is there are some (not a lot) of glazes that are designed to work from cone 05 through cone six. They generally contain boron to allow them to melt early but are stiff enough to fire to cone six without dripping off your pot.

One such commercial glaze is stroke and coat I believe. I mention this because if you are working with low fire clay, there are several glazes out there that are designed to work over a broad range and are available for you to use.

Archived