Magma and Yellow Salt Glaze

CactusPots

I mixed up a 5 gallon batch of Yellow Salt last firing, probably September.  I find that it's settling very quickly, which didn't happen when it was freshly mixed.  Is the Magma typically re added every few months?  Does it have a short shelf life in the glaze?  The goop I have mixed by itself doesn't seem to have changed.

I just went and checked my container of Yellow Salt that has magma in it, there was a layer of water on top of the glaze, no hard panning at all, super easy to mix it up. I haven't used this glaze since April of this year so it's been sitting for around 8 months. I'ld just add a bit more magma goop to your bucket. Couple thoughts, did your bucket of glaze freeze or was enough copper mixed in it so it didn't rot.

It doesn't freeze where I live.  The magma snot by itself shows no rot, so I'd think the copper add is good.  I did add 2 heaping teaspoons of goop to the 2 or so gallons of Yellow Salt in the bucket.  Hopefully, that will take care of it.  I was surprised that when I mixed the glaze to start with the Magma looked like it was suspending the glaze really well.  It wasn't the worse settling I've seen, but more than most of my glazes without additive.

How much Magma goop would you add in a new glaze per gallon?

I don't think you are adding enough, more like 2-3 heaping tablespoons of magma goop for a couple gallons. Try less, it the nep sy suspends okay then you should be good to go, if not then add some more. I add bentonite (4.5) to that glaze too.

Well, it's floating now.  My batch is 4500 grams, about a half bucket.  I didn't have bentonite in the original mix, so that's 1% in now.  I bet I have a half cup of the goo in by now.  Seems like a lot, but whatever it takes, right?  Hopefully it will be a workable glaze now since it's my new obsession, finding the good combos with this glaze.

Archived