Kiln fail

8 hours ago, Silver State Studios said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that my glaze load come out great thanks to all of the help and advice that I got on here.  You guys are wonderful and I really appreciate all of your words of wisdom that you shared with me 

You are likely on your way and also likely hooked! Great to hear back it all worked out.

• 1 month later...

I just took a load of low fire glaze (06) out of this kiln. I have no idea what to do. The pieces look glazed but the witness cones completely melted.....one stuck to the shelf it was on. I'm so confused. I followed the above schedule of turning on and lowering the lid but i must have done something wrong...again. It's making me want to sell it and try again with a different kiln. The cone in the cone holder isn't quite at a 90 degree angle but it's close.  Does anyone  have any advice before i sell this thing? 

1 hour ago, Silver State Studios said:

I just took a load of low fire glaze (06) out of this kiln. I have no idea what to do. The pieces look glazed but the witness cones completely melted.....one stuck to the shelf it was on. I'm so confused. I followed the above schedule of turning on and lowering the lid but i must have done something wrong...again. It's making me want to sell it and try again with a different kiln. The cone in the cone holder isn't quite at a 90 degree angle but it's close.  Does anyone  have any advice before i sell this thing? 

Did the sitter shut off the kiln (the weight dropped and popped out the power button), or did the timer run out?

Sitter adjustment - can be finicky, eh?

Perhaps more straightforward using bars. With the small cones, a bit of movement makes a very big difference. In the image below, too far right, the rod cannot drop enough; too far left, teetering on the tip of the cone.

If you can see your cone packs during firing, if - haha, when - the sitter hangs up, you can still shut down at the right time/temp. Be sure to get and wear appropriate eye protection! Drawing a RIO line on the cone might help.

Another sitter back up strategy to consider: get a pyrometer! ...which also allows you to monitor rate of change (which can be important), and if you take notes (take notes), compare firing times as your elements degrade...

Pyrometer feedback is critical to my process. Perhaps when I've a few dozen firings under my belt it wont' be as important, however, it may also be even more important - hope to find out...

sitter.jpg

On 12/16/2019 at 7:03 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Seems like you finally had success not long ago. Are you saying the sitter failed to shut it off when the cone bent?

The cone bent only slightly. I tried again yesterday with a bisque load with 04 cones in and witness cones. The witness cones did not bend and the sitter cone did not shut off the kiln....the timer went off at 14 hours. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. I had one successful load come out so far. It's so inconsistent. I'm not sure if i should even glaze this load of bisque. 

So before we ask you to measure your kiln amperage are you back to turning the bottom on then waiting four hours, then the next and waiting four hours .......

Tell me in this format how you fire so I can understand your schedule.

• set timer for __________________
  • turn switch one on : At start with lid propped, wait two hours
  •  Close lid, Turn second switch on wait for  ___________________ hours
  • Turn third switch on wait for ____________________ hours
  • Turn fourth switch on 

Its hard for us to speculate on what was happening for fourteen hours. Sounds like you nearly made 04 bisque which would be ok for a bisque. Maybe  just a tad slow.

Archived