Powder-coat Pug Mill Barrel?

GeorgeM

I have been using an aluminum barreled Bluebird pug mill for many years. I understand that the aluminum can have a chemical reaction to porcelaneous clays, also, the barrel has become pitted. I am considering having the barrel powder-coated to solve both of these issues. Does anyone have experience with powder-coating aluminum pug mill barrels? Are there potential problems I should be aware of? My biggest concern is the possibility of coating material wearing off and contaminating the clay.

Yes  I can say that my peter pugger is pitted as well inside.The outside is powder coated.

I have been to the factory and they suggrested if the pitting bothers me they can sandblast iot smooth.It will pit again overtime.They also said do not powder coat the inside as it will wear off and get into the clay.Clay is abrasive and you do want pieces of coating in your clay.

I decieded the pitting does not hurt a thing and am living with it . When the day comes and the barre lwears thru (I may die 1st) then a new barrel is in order.I would not powder coat the inside..

Thanks for your responses. I think what you all said is pretty much what I expected. I know the pitting isn't really  a problem, just thought the coating might prevent the aluminum from reacting with porcelaneous clays. I certainly don't want paint bits in my clay! I think I'll just leave it alone!

Archived