“New” kiln

ATP

New to this forum. Reacquainting myself to ceramics. Never fired my own work and just acquired a Knight Kiln Model 82 for dirt cheap. Wondering...

1) if there’s a copy of the manual floating around; no luck searching on-line on  my own. 

2) if setting this kiln up on a wheeled cart for firing outside of my garage is an unrealistic/bad idea.  

Thanks for any help offered! 

Hi ATP!

Not finding any manual either; should you need elements, try "...call Euclids. They know more about those kilns that anyone. Knight has been out of business for a long time." Likely the sitter is a Dawson, which you may be able to find parts for.

As for wheeling the kiln about, perhaps, using really good wheels, over very smooth and level surface, however, I'd go with no on that. Setting up kiln venting is very worthwhile - where a small stream of kiln atmosphere is sucked out (the bottom of the kiln, or near the bottom), mixed with ambient and then vented outside - for supplying oxygen in the kiln and moving most of the fumes out of the area. Second best (imo) is setting up a vent hood over the kiln.

I've started with an antique electric (it was cheap!), which I've fitted out with a kiln vent and a hood.

https://www.euclids.com/

Is your outlet or breaker box by the garage door?   I know we have one in that location my husband put in for a welder and have had breaker boxes close to the door in other houses.  You can get by opening the garage door a little to vent, you may not be able to work in the garage firing day.   I have heard of people putting a small kiln on a rolling stand,  I would worry about the movement of the bricks especially in a old kiln.   I fired my kilns in a garage for at least twenty five years before they came up with these venting systems for kilns.  Denice

The kiln does work, it was purchased from a welder that used it to heat pipe fittings. He had it on a wheeled cart that was pretty thick plywood and used a welders extension cord. That’s pretty much where I’m getting the idea for a wheeled cart. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

@Rockhopper is right as well as all the other advice. Just an add, get decent wheels! The larger their diameter, the smoother it will roll over any minor floor imperfections. Tiny diameter wheels make for very rough travel. A strong stand  with legs that do not  deflect a bunch will also make  travel easier on your kiln when they hit the eventual divot.

No plywood! You want 18 inches clearance from anything flammable. Lots of other good advice above. That kiln will fire just like any other kiln with a Sitter and switches, so any manual kiln manual will do- Skutt, Olympic, etc. When you need elements for your kiln, call Euclids. They know more about Knight kilns than anyone.

Archived