Glazing over Terra SIG fired clay

vivk

Hi all. Is it possible to glaze over a piece that has been terrasigged? Has anyone done this? I would be interested to see your results please! I am wanting to create a sculpture with some areas terrasigged and some glazed. All comments and ideas welcome!

On 7/24/2019 at 7:32 AM, vivk said:

Hi all. Is it possible to glaze over a piece that has been terrasigged? Has anyone done this? I would be interested to see your results please! I am wanting to create a sculpture with some areas terrasigged and some glazed. All comments and ideas welcome!

Okay, so this is a tricky question. I have used tera sig that is commercially made and have been able to glaze over it (raku, wood, ox, gas) completely fine. Here is where it gets tricky, sometimes, with homemade tera sig, glazes will fuse to the tera sig, and the tera sig (can) shiver away from the clay. It has happened to me before, with homemade tera sig.

• 1 year later...

So I think if the greenware and terra sig were fired together first and then do a third firing with glaze it MIGHT  not have  crawling issues  but still my question is WHY, why do you want to glaze over terra sig?  I’d sure do a test piece first!  Good luck! I do sooooo much Saggar, raku, horse hair firings - I’m trying to figure out the Benefits of glazing over beautiful terra lol  i make my own terra sig and have great results there is a guy online that has a terra sig recipe for over bisque- I always put it on greenware. But I bet if you get the terra sig recipe for bisque ware it might help. 

Archived