Moving to Houston, Texas

You will LOVE a kiln in the garage. Go for it!

How much of a hassle/how many agencies/restrictions, etc you want to involve is up to you....as you are the homeowner. Some folks call others to do the work and pull permits/etc... some folks do it all themselves. (I opted for Plan >b<)

As far as yer new house....(If you know anything about electricity) did you look in the breaker box whatsoever? Is there 200 amp service into the house? Are there open spots in the panel to add breakers/240? Is the panel anywhere near where you want the kiln?

I hope ya figure it out! Good luck on the purchase!

teardrop

I am going to buy a home in Houston and I would like to know what is necessary for me to put a kiln in my garage? What are restrictions, etc?

Hello Sun,

Putting your kiln in the garage sounds like the logical thing to do if you don't need the space for your car. You may need permits, etc so check with the city.

I know of several people who have done that. However, please be sure you get a qualified electrician to do the connections. My friend bought a kiln from a local ceramic store here and was recommended an electrician who came and installed the kiln in her garage. The kiln caught fire (luckily she was at home) and did extensive damage to the garage and house. A good thing her insurance covered the $200K of damages.

Moral of the story is that make sure you have a qualified electrician who knows what he's doing. Get references. You can't be too careful when it comes to these high temp. you'll be dealing with.

Hope this helps.

I am going to buy a home in Houston and I would like to know what is necessary for me to put a kiln in my garage? What are restrictions, etc?

I did a commercial build out in a mall in Houston a few years ago ........ OMG very exacting code restrictions for commercial. I do know that many areas of Houston also have very very strict residential codes as well. And you may encounter specific code restrictions by suburb, county and neighborhood. Do you already have a home selected? Myself and another potter I know specifically selected our current locations because they have basically no building code restrictions at all.

If possible follow Teardrop's suggestion and do it yourself or with the help of an experienced friend. In many areas, you must have a licensed contractor is required to get permits. The wiring for a kiln is not especially complex and light residential experience will suffice to insure proper wiring. (main thing is not to overload the circuit or the the box or use a wire that is too weak for the kiln (8 gauge minimum for 40 amps and 6 gauge for 60 ... never hurts to go down a gauge over suggested). Best thing is to run a direct line from the meter to kiln area ... Paragon provides good wiring instructions so you can check their website or with brand of kiln you have or planning to buy. Most of these manufacturers provide excellent guidelines concerning installation

You do want to avoid getting a commercial electric rate (usually a demand rate which may be considerably higher) so do not bring the kiln to the attention of the power company. You do not want to get into a position of proving you are hobby vs business. My friend I mentioned earlier got stuck with a commercial rate and electrical costs skyrocketed. They eventually moved to a more rural area to escape the problem.

About the insurance, get the insurance policy in place before you install a kiln. Most applications just ask what is the home, not what you may install in the future. Check the clauses on electrical work. Make sure you are not required to use a licensed contractor to do electrical work (most licensed contractors are also required to carry liability insurance which insurance companies may go after if damages occur due to faulty electrical). Don't misrepresent anything because in some states the insurance company can avoid paying a claim.

Just keep in mind all of these varies by your exact location. What is nothing in one state/city can be a code nightmare in another location. And by the way, I have my kilns in a covered carport and love it.

I know of several people who have done that. However, please be sure you get a qualified electrician to do the connections. My friend bought a kiln from a local ceramic store here and was recommended an electrician who came and installed the kiln in her garage. The kiln caught fire (luckily she was at home) and did extensive damage to the garage and house.

Do you know specifically how the kiln caused the fire? The only fire I know of that was caused by a kiln started at the wall receptacle.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Here are kiln installation safety guidelines:

http://www.paragonwe...nter.cfm?PID=98

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

I know of several people who have done that. However, please be sure you get a qualified electrician to do the connections. My friend bought a kiln from a local ceramic store here and was recommended an electrician who came and installed the kiln in her garage. The kiln caught fire (luckily she was at home) and did extensive damage to the garage and house.

Do you know specifically how the kiln caused the fire? The only fire I know of that was caused by a kiln started at the wall receptacle.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Ditto. Kilns don't start fires. Bad electrical installations start fires. Combustible materials next to/on top of kilns start fires. It's nearly impossible for an electric kiln to melt down.

Give your kiln at least 18 inches clearance all around from anything combustible. Install a vent if you plan on entering the garage while it's firing (in the winter or during rain storms you won't be leaving the garage door open). Use a licensed electrician. If you need help choosing a kiln, feel free to message me directly. Any new kiln will do the job, but some will save you money in the long run and be easier and cheaper to maintain.

AnthonyFoo said,"...The kiln caught fire (luckily she was at home) and did extensive damage to the garage and house."

There are many questions to be asked in this situation, electric kilns just don't catch fire. What was the person firing in the kiln? Where in the garage was the kiln placed? How close to the wall? Were the garage walls made of plywood or OSB? Had anything flammable been stored on top of the kiln? Were there any oily rags left near by? Were all of the electrical connections properly installed. Was the garage wiring not copper but aluminum? These are all big considerations when setting up a kiln. You must be aware that even though the heat is contained there is a lot of radiating heat. You must treat the placement and operation of the kiln with safety in mind.

Sun-

You will need a level concrete or tiled floor, ventilation and a water source if you are planning a full studio in there also.

When you have the new house inspected tell the inspector what you are planning to do and where you are planning to do it. They should be able to tell you the code requirements. Ask for recommendations as to placement of the kiln. Get yourself a licensed electrician to make any major changes to your electrical service. And use manufacturer's recommendations for voltage and amperage. Also explain to your electrician and show them the schematic materials and the electrical requirements for your kiln. If you must rewire do not skimp, use copper wiring. Please read your kiln manual and watch the kiln manufacturer's videos, (if they have them) on operation and installation of your kiln. Be smart and be safe and have great time.

Definitely pay attention to those above who said to use a professional electrician. I will go one step farther--check him out thoroughly. I hired an electrician to wire my first studio for 220; showed him the installation instructions; bought the proper receptacle; told him the kiln would draw 48 amps so I wanted a 60 amp breaker installed to cover power fluctuations. He agreed to all of this. It wasn't until several months later that a firing failed because it kicked the breaker--it was only a 50 amp. Turned out he had also used a lighter wire (a 10 instead of 8). Every time I fired the kiln, I was afraid the wall receptacle would burst into flames--'cause the wall got very, very hot. (Surprise, surprise, he also left town in the interim)

In Idaho the only contractors who are required to be licensed are plumbers and electricians. That doesn't protect you from someone who will do what they want regardless of what they agree to do. Watch them--check what equipment and supplies they are using. If any "professional" works on my property, I check out references and their background thoroughly. Having a license doesn't guarantee good work. Get names of people they've done work for and call several to see how satisfied they are with the work. Most electricians are honest and hardworking, just make sure that's what you get.

Definitely pay attention to those above who said to use a professional electrician. I will go one step farther--check him out thoroughly. I hired an electrician to wire my first studio for 220; showed him the installation instructions; bought the proper receptacle; told him the kiln would draw 48 amps so I wanted a 60 amp breaker installed to cover power fluctuations. He agreed to all of this. It wasn't until several months later that a firing failed because it kicked the breaker--it was only a 50 amp. Turned out he had also used a lighter wire (a 10 instead of 8). Every time I fired the kiln, I was afraid the wall receptacle would burst into flames--'cause the wall got very, very hot. (Surprise, surprise, he also left town in the interim)

#6 wire should be used for wiring up the 60 amp service. Show the electrician all the specs for the kiln to make sure they understand the proper size breaker and wire that is needed, and get it all in writing. Larger wires cost more money (a lot more), so you need to make sure you're getting what you need. Ideally, a fused disconnect should be installed near the kiln. It costs a little more but is very handy for maintenance and from a safety standpoint, so you don't have to go running to the basement to turn off a breaker.

Archived