Flameware clay bodies

Mark C.

Ok its been asked here more times than I can recall

Since it the season coming on here is some info on this.

Weather its a cooking BBQ or just a pot for the stove top.

Its requires special clay and glaze to handle the thermo expansion

I have a friend who uses one from Mexico on the stove top-the trick is  slow LOW heat

ROBBIE LOBELL

Is  the queen of this work

You can view her clay body and some glazes here

https://studiopotter.org/flameware-journey

I have found that my regular clay fired to cone 9 works well. Glaze you have to be cautious about, but I recommend looking for recipes for cone 9, but test them on a stovetop with water and see if any color seeps into the water. If not, you should be good to go.  

You could test by taking a sample of the water with a water testing kit prior to boiling it, then after if the water test reads the same, then you're good to go.

46 minutes ago, Brandon Franks said:

I have found that my regular clay fired to cone 9 works well. Glaze you have to be cautious about, but I recommend looking for recipes for cone 9, but test them on a stovetop with water and see if any color seeps into the water. If not, you should be good to go.  

You could test by taking a sample of the water with a water testing kit prior to boiling it, then after if the water test reads the same, then you're good to go.

The issue with flameware bodies is not glaze leaching, but rather the pieces cracking due to thermal expansion. I would never trust a non-flameware body over an open flame.

Discoloration in the water is not an acceptable test for leaching. At the very least you should test with acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice, but the only way to be sure is to send samples off to a lab.

Archived