Bad Decal Paper

Please Help! I used to get my decal paper from Decalpaper.com. They went out of business and I have not found decal paper that will work firing at cone 04. I had some old decals and put them on some mugs and fired; they are along side test pieces to show what I am getting now. This new decal paper that is not working is from Sunnyscopa and some from one other supplier that I cannot remember ordering from.....please help! How do I attach photos to show?

IMG_7037.JPG

IMG_7039.JPG

@stevehelmbrecht I'm thinking there are two possible things going on here:

1. As the decal material is burning out, it's causing the pigment to bleed. I would fire a test up to 600-800 degrees, which should be hot enough to burn out the decal material, and see if the image has already distorted before it has even gotten hot enough to fuse.

2.  Something in the decal is fluxing out your pigment, and it's bleeding once it all gets good and hot.

I'm voting that it's #1. It looks like a melting wax or something like that.

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve and Liam,

I'm new to firing decals and I've been getting poor results and couldn't figure out what was going wrong until I stumbled across your post Steve!  My results are distored and "melted" (similar to your picture) and I've tried 3 different firing temperatures.  I bought my decals from ebay.   Were either of you able to find a good source of decals that aren't $4 a page?  Your insights are greatly appreciated!!  Sonia

Archived