Firing Stoneware and Max Temp advice

Liam V

I've recently found a 'perfect fire kiln' which has a maximum temperature of 1260 degrees celcius.

Having never used a kiln before, would a kiln be able to run consistently at its maximum temperature?

I am planning on firing stoneware clay which I've read requires temperatures from 1200-1300; would this sort of kiln be suitable?

Thanks!

You generally want a kiln that fires at least 2 cones above what you need.  So if you want to fire cone 6, find a kiln that fires cone 8 or higher.  The problem is that elements get less effective over time. So your 1260 kiln might fire to 1260 with new elements, but might only fire to 1200 after a while and then 1100, etc.  The exception is true cone 10 kiln which are built to be fired to cone 10 repeatedly.

3 hours ago, Liam V said:

I take it then that this kiln would be better suited for firing midfire clays and I should not bother if I am using stoneware bodies.

Thanks Liam and Bill!

There are very few good reasons to fire an electric kiln to cone 10. Your pieces won't look like gas fired cone 10 work since you can't do a reduction atmosphere. Better to get a stoneware body that will mature/vitrify at cone 6 and work at that temp. At cone 6, your kiln bricks will last longer, your elements will last longer, your utility bills will be lower, the work will be just as durable, and you'll have more color options with glazes.

All great points but it also seems you are of the opinion that stoneware indicates cone ten. There are many different claybodies that are designed  to fully mature at cone  six including stoneware, and porcelain..

cone ten was a thing because the natural geology of the earth melts about cone ten. Cone six has been in use for many, many years as the expertise to formulate effective cone six claybodies was discovered.

last point @Rockhopper makes a practical point as bisque firing requires removal or burnout of undesirable organics. Electric kilns are far easier to keep in oxidation to do this,  so more often than not folks bisque in electric even when they gas fire to cone ten.

Archived