Mold Making - again.....

I'm still working with mold making. The course I took went by fast & we worked with a plaster lathe, made models, used soap as a release (Murphy's oil soap)  and then made molds. This worked pretty well but I'm having problems  on my own now with the soap release. I tried spray Pam- ok for the containers but 50% or less success with plaster models releasing from plaster molds. I try to take things apart relatively quickly- should I wait longer ? Use a different release soap or spray??? Trying to get this all worked out before I move on to larger items and its so frustrating. Just watching a mold making video on clay flicks, I noticed that  it was suggested to use two coats of murphys oil soap and let them dry between coats. I'll try that but any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

terrim8-

I have answered this question so many times I made  the answer its own header so I can find it easy and pass it on to the next persons who ask.I'm always going out to the studio to get the product names and this will end that -tonight I fit the trip into a put the trash trip to get those names.

Here's what I know after having a mold business for 15 years on the side back in the 90's and 2000's

As to timing yes let the plaster cool down some as its to soft  to break apart until it cures some. to give it strength . Also when things are hot they expand and that is also a fight-when cool the shrink making it easier. The biggest issue is the right release product .And a smooth master.

I've made a lot of molds just using liquid had soap as a release. You can thin it down slightly with water if needed. You just have to be careful not to make bubbles when brushing it on- take your time, move slowly. It works well as a release, and washes off the plaster very easily.

Archived