Calcined Zinc Oxide

Roberta12

I used up my supply of zinc oxide. The supply house is 200 miles from me, so when my cousin was coming over my way he asked if I needed something from the supply house.  I called and ordered some zinc oxide.  When he delivered it to me the container says Calcined Zinc Ox.   I know what it means to calcine, I was just wondering if it will change the recipes I use?  And the zinc ox I used up originally was several years old, so I do not know if it was calcined or not.  What is the general thought amongst you glaze/chemistry/ chemical gurus?

Roberta

Roberta: 

the difference between zinc and calcined zinc is molecular moisture. The effect on your glaze- zip..nada.. Nil. You will find a difference when you mix it in a glaze: blends much better. Zinc Nationale (Mexico) which supplies most all yellow zinc in the USA uses a rotary kiln to roast raw zinc ore: removes cadmium, lead, and selenium primarily. Has the effect of calcining: but not typically labeled as such.

T

I am sure that this discussion is about zinc oxide and not zinc!     There is a big difference.  (Nomenclature is important).

Also zinc oxide will absorb moisture if left open to the ambient atmosphere ( except maybe in the Death Valley desert); the recipe should be adjusted to compensate for the added moisture 

From memory calcined may be a little creamer coloyr than non calcined. But my memory not as reliable.

Guess you could test a small batch see if in fact it is same as previous purchase presuming you'll be using same recipe..

Remembering a thread on "hardened zinc" that said that can use as equivalent I.e.no calculation required just substitute..do a search and read answers.

7 hours ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

I am sure that this discussion is about zinc oxide and not zinc!     There is a big difference.  (Nomenclature is important).

Also zinc oxide will absorb moisture if left open to the ambient atmosphere ( except maybe in the Death Valley desert); the recipe should be adjusted to compensate for the added moisture 

Yes, thank you for the clarification, Mag. Mud.  It was zinc oxide I was asking about.  It's almost as dry as Death Valley here where I live.  And my containers are closed. Thank you for the information.  I really appreciate all you all.  I am not kidding.  This forum is where I go for specific information.  Thanks.

Archived