Sea Pottery

RubyCartwright

I found some sea pottery on the beach in Adra, Spain in 2018, they have no glaze, the paint on most is faded or gone entirely, and they have been separated by age, these may even be older than 600 years old. If you have any idea how old they might be, like more specific than that, or if you need more information to determine their age, then can you please ask for more info or say of any age/date you think they may have created? I'm not looking to sell these, I just think I may have found a nice artifact that I would want to take care of is all.

If you want authentication for a potentially 600 year old item, I think you should take it for an expert to look at it first hand.

There are places that do very nice reproductions of ancient artifacts that would be indistinguishable from the real thing in a photo on the internet.  

I lived in Spain and researched the folk pottery there. Adra is on the sea...your shard could be anything from Phoenician , Greek, Roman, Carthagian, Moorish, medieval or contemporary sea-washed earthenware.  There is a great maritime museum in Cartagena , Spain. They have a great collection of amphoras and pots that came out the the bay right there.  Just about every mediterranean culture traded by sea. You an find shards everywhere along the coast.

Marcia 

Archived