low fire reduction shino glaze recipe

When I was working with cone 10 shino in my college days, I played around with changing the different types of clay in the mix.  A worthy experiment, if you like the orange/brown end of the spectrum, is to switch out any epk for ball clays with some iron content, or even something like red art. 

Scott - Glazy.org is an open electronic public library of glaze recipes. One can establish a collection of your own recipes and browse through other's collections. Clara Giorella is a potter in Buenos Aires who has done a lot of glaze testing.  The link to her collection in Glazy is:

https://glazy.org/u/giorello

That will bring you into the first page of her entire collection. Once there, enter the word shino in the search box midway down the left side of the page and that will narrow the collection to 15 recipes she has tried.

So I just made a discovery!

it doesn’t matter what the glaze is named as long as we have the right colours right?!

here is a glaze recipe I just came across from a free CAD download. 

The glaze is eggshell pg 14 of https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/freebies/free-guides/33-tried-true-ceramic-glaze-recipes/

there is a picture but no explanation so I assume the pot only uses eggshell. I do see the RIO in there.

i also love tea dust. Pg 12 there is a cone 10 tenmoku that works at cone 6 too. A Malmgren recipe of course. Which is hard to believe. Perhaps the surface in 6 won’t be that spectacular as a 10 surface!

Hey Dick - very cool site - originally tried to find it using Internet Explorer but landed with only a blank screen - then used Chrome and the site popped up - typed in shino as you mentioned to do and yes, some interesting mid-range glazes came up - even in oxidation - that's something for me to consider doing if I don't want to do gas firings and trying to rent out kiln space.

To answer Callie - I've not tried the SF Shino with red clay - something for me to consider but the Soldate 60 does have some iron content to it and the orange does consistently come out in the final firing - when I've used it on B-Mix, I get a large range of orange, black, and pasty white depending on how thick it is applied and for how long it's left out in the air vs. covered - this glaze is fascinating to work with!

Preeta, regarding the Malmgren teadust temoku at cone 6. We tried that in the school studio and got no teadust. It's a nice temoku, but no teadust. I've met Rick Malmgren and asked him about it. He was emphatic that he gets teadust in his school's gas kiln, but we never did. Theoretically, teadust temoku requires magnesium to generate the iron pyroxene crystals and this recipe has none. There is discussion elsewhere of temoku going teadusty in hard brick kilns that take forever to cool.

Scott, regarding the oxidation shinos, if you have John Britt's book on midfire glazes, there is a short section on fake shinos in oxidation. For that, we just go with the philosophy that "shino" is a visual outcome however you choose to get there and you can call it anything you want.

Archived