What type of gas kiln is this

Hello

I bought this 9 cubic foot gas kiln last winter.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is an updraft or downdraft kiln.  It has a chimney coming out of the back.

Are the burners Venturi.

It has one kiln shelf at present. Approx 20 inches square.  Should I use that size for my other shelves which I still have to buy.

Do the burners need to have unobstructed air flow.

it also has a perfect fire controller. Anyone ever used one of those. 

I am attempting to add some pics.   Thanks

IMG_1990.jpg

Hello..

Thanks for your reply.

I am attempting to send more photos.

The second photo is the back of the kiln.

The third photo is the controller.

The forth photo is a pic of the burners which there are two of. The both come up at the back of the kiln in either corner.

Thanks

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

On 5/30/2018 at 5:18 PM, Linda A said:

Hello

I bought this 9 cubic foot gas kiln last winter.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is an updraft or downdraft kiln.  It has a chimney coming out of the back.

This is a downdraft kiln

Are the burners Venturi.

Yes they are and you have two

It has one kiln shelf at present. Approx 20 inches square.  Should I use that size for my other shelves which I still have to buy.

It looks like the shelves cover the bottom-you can see where they fit on the lower supports(not covering the two burner ports in the rear which are higher)

You also can see that the space between the two burner Ports was covered as well with a small shelve -look at the lack of dust marks. This keeps the flames from going down and out-also forcing them to the front and down and under your shelves in the front-which should remain open

You need to be clear on this layout.If your 20x20 fills the floor(a photo of this shelve installed would help tons) then you can use it 

Do the burners need to have unobstructed air flow.

Yes they do  and they have their own ports in the rear.

it also has a perfect fire controller. Anyone ever used one of those. 

I'm not familiar at all with this controller(where do you live) as this may tell us more about this.

I am attempting to add some pics.   Thanks

IMG_1990.jpg

Here are some more pics with the two shelves installed.  

Are they placed correctly and as I add more shelves would I continue with the two shelves or just the large one.

I note there is only one peep hole .What should I be looking for with one peep in terms of flame size when I put the kiln in a reducing atmosphere.

I am planning to fire to cone 6 with white stoneware and a cone 6 porcelains.  At what temp should I start reducing atmosphere and for how long.

image one .  Space open towards the front of kiln

image two and three   .   Back of the kiln

thanks a lot

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

1 hour ago, Linda A said:

Here are some more pics with the two shelves installed.  

Are they placed correctly and as I add more shelves would I continue with the two shelves or just the large one.

Yes they are placed correctly and no you only use the space that the large shelve covers-unless you have lots more of that small back shelve size as you could stack that space as long as you leave the two corners open for the flames to go up.Do you have more shelves of these two sizes? You will need to wash the shelves (recipe is 50% alumina hydrate 25% EPK 25% calcined EPK-mix like heavy cream -I use a paint roller to apply.-dry between two coats

wash the touch spots on kiln bricks as well -where the shelves rest

I note there is only one peep hole .What should I be looking for with one peep in terms of flame size when I put the kiln in a reducing atmosphere.

Put cones all over 1st fire to see whats happening as well as cones in the lower hole to look at

I am planning to fire to cone 6 with white stoneware and a cone 6 porcelains.  At what temp should I start reducing atmosphere and for how long.

Start reducing at 1800F unless you are firing reds-no body reduction is needed for white clays-keep it in light reduction until fire is over.Reduction will help even out the temps

image one .  Space open towards the front of kiln

image two and three   .   Back of the kiln

thanks a lot

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

You can fire copper reds with other colors. My suggestion would be to put some small copper red tests all over in kiln load to find the sweet spot for reds in this kiln. Start reduction at 1700 F as well for reds and make sure that the reduction never goes away during firing.. It also goes without saying that when fire is done you keep the damper closed the second you turn off the kiln until its cool.

Archived