Cracks in greenware

I make planters with built-in saucers. The other day, this one cracked before going into bisque. Is it possible it got too cold outside? I keep my pieces outdoors in Florida under a covered patio on a screened-in porch but it did get pretty cold last week overnight. Would temperature cause these cracks? 

640830DB-CCB2-44AA-B192-3816A0A98837.jpeg

too fast drying of uneven thicknesses is my bet.

was it on its rim or foot when drying?

really slow drying, don't know your humidity, is best for uneven thicknesses, get it on its rim asap cover with plastic if necessary.

cold only a prob if means moisture retained or pot frozen....

53 minutes ago, Babs said:

too fast drying of uneven thicknesses is my bet.

was it on its rim or foot when drying?

really slow drying, don't know your humidity, is best for uneven thicknesses, get it on its rim asap cover with plastic if necessary.

cold only a prob if means moisture retained or pot frozen....

It was on its base when drying. I had used the wire to cut it from the bat and then left it on the drying rack. The wall thicknesses are pretty consistent. Do you think it’s salvageable? Is there a way to fix the crack?

this pot will not fix.  if you want to learn more, try trimming it by cutting off the saucer part.  or, cut the entire thing in half vertically to see your thickness as it is today.  you might learn more for the next one of hundreds of this kind of pot.  call it practice.

as old lady says,don't waste time trying to fix, cut in half, you,d have to be pretty slick on wheel and trimming to get even thickness with this shape.

drying rack solid or mesh so air can circulate freely?

the pot rising from saucer would Imo result in a thin saucer rising into a thicker base/saucer meeting place.

also on firing, there will be an uneven heating goin on because of this.

I 'd be tempted to fire on rim or on coils.

Archived