Kiln Location

DMCosta

Hi Everyone, 

I recently moved and left behind my awesome ceramic studio that I had up and running from my detached  garage. I'm settled in my new house, and REALLY want to set up my studio again in my now attached garage. (which is the only garage I now have) Previously, I had my kiln enclosed and vented in my detached garage working space. Can I do the same with an attached garage or should I be concerned about fire hazard and residual fume issues considering my space would now be connected to the house itself? With this garage being attached to my house I wanted to be as safe as possible with my decisions. I have seen other potters put their kiln in their attached garage but I wasn't sure about it. 

If I were to set up a separate location such as a shed etc. for my kiln, I'd have to run the 220V line through the entire length of house and to the outdoor shed. I'm hoping this isn't necessary. 

I appreciate your advice!

~Dianna

We've been firing in an attached garage for over a decade now. It's vented and we leave the vent running until cool.  Also I like to open the garage door for a bit right after burn off  (around 1200F) as that's when there is a faint smell even vented.

Also in order to keep clay down inside the house ya really have to clean up after each clay session. Its amazing how much easier clay cleans up if you do it daily. I keep some slippers by the inside and change into them when I go inside to minimize dust in the house.

One other thing we did that I think is a must. If you don't have windows have them installed in door. Ours was the basic metal section double garage door and I called the company that installed it and they charged me $300 to swap out the top panel with one that has glass window sections all the way across. Really made the garage a much more pleasant place to work once you could see outside. Felt like a closet before. 

Have fun!

Archived