New Element Diagnostic Results

JeneMom

Hello!

I have recently purchased a brand new L&L, e23T kiln! I'm super excited! It has the Genesis controller. My first attempt at a first firing ended with a frustrating error code: E-1, indicating that the ramp up was too slow. Subsequently, I have done a Full Power Test which indicated that all of the elements are getting power. 

My question is this:

I ran a New Element Diagnostic and have the results, but I don't know to what reference to compare them. Could someone direct me, or tell me what the numbers should be?

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, JeneMom said:

Hello!

I have recently purchased a brand new L&L, e23T kiln! I'm super excited! It has the Genesis controller. My first attempt at a first firing ended with a frustrating error code: E-1, indicating that the ramp up was too slow. Subsequently, I have done a Full Power Test which indicated that all of the elements are getting power. 

My question is this:

I ran a New Element Diagnostic and have the results, but I don't know to what reference to compare them. Could someone direct me, or tell me what the numbers should be?

Thanks!

What numbers did it give you?

Was this the first firing- slow bisque to cone 5 with a 3 hour preheat?

I would start with basics - checking the wiring. If you have a new kiln and the elements are getting power, it eliminates that as your cause, unless the elements are wired for a different voltage. Even a licensed electrician may not check that the voltage of the kiln is compatible with the service of the building.  If you are not sure, you can get a multi-meter for under $10 to check. 

My initial reaction is the same as Frankiegirl. If a kiln designed for 240V power is plugged into a 208V circuit, it won't get above 2000F, it that. Look at the electrical rating label on the side of the control box and see what it says is the designed voltage.

JeneMom, I have gotten excellent customer service from L&L.  Do not hesitate to email or call them.  I am not certain if my case is atypical, but I was assigned a service rep.  We are on a close first name basis now!!  He answers my questions and offers advice.  Because I live in a rural area, all of our contact is phone and email.  But I have been really happy with L&L.

Roberta

Neil,

The readings were: Amps 1, 2, 3- 0 A; No Load- 252 V; Full Load- 253 V; Volt 1, 2, 3- 19.08 V (ea.) I would still appreciate knowing if those are appropriate. 

All,

Thank you so much for the responses and suggestions. The outlet is indeed 240V on a double 50A breaker (as specked by the wiring diagram.)

I had, since my initial post, decided to attempt a first firing which was successful! I have no idea why the first attempt failed, but everything seems to be functioning normally now. 

My experience with L&L so far has been nothing less than perfect! 

Thanks again for all the help!

35 minutes ago, JeneMom said:

Neil,

The readings were: Amps 1, 2, 3- 0 A; No Load- 252 V; Full Load- 253 V; Volt 1, 2, 3- 19.08 V (ea.) I would still appreciate knowing if those are appropriate. 

All,

Thank you so much for the responses and suggestions. The outlet is indeed 240V on a double 50A breaker (as specked by the wiring diagram.)

I had, since my initial post, decided to attempt a first firing which was successful! I have no idea why the first attempt failed, but everything seems to be functioning normally now. 

My experience with L&L so far has been nothing less than perfect! 

Thanks again for all the help!

You're voltage is running high, 252 instead of 240. The elements will run a little hotter, but the controller will keep the rate of climb constant. The bigger issue is that you've got the kiln on a 50 amp breaker. I'm assuming the kiln is on single phase service? If you look at the wiring diagram again, you'll see that it should be on a 60 amp breaker, with AWG 6 wire. Kilns must be on a breaker that is 25% great than the draw of the kiln. Since your kiln pulls 48 amps, it needs to be on a 60 amp breaker. Anything less and it's not up to code, and could be a fire hazard and cause issues in the event of an insurance claim. Also, since your kiln is running a little high on voltage, it may trip the 50 amp breaker at some point.

Oh, my goodness! I will look again! The interesting thing is that we originally had a double 60 A breaker and switched it to the 50 (we do have AWG 6 wire). I have a family member helping me with this who is very experienced with electrical installations; I will definitely show her your recommendation, review the wiring diagram and (most likely) change the breaker back. Fortunately it's an easy fix. Can you think of a reason why the footage would be running high?

Thanks so much for your time and input!

1 hour ago, JeneMom said:

Oh, my goodness! I will look again! The interesting thing is that we originally had a double 60 A breaker and switched it to the 50 (we do have AWG 6 wire). I have a family member helping me with this who is very experienced with electrical installations; I will definitely show her your recommendation, review the wiring diagram and (most likely) change the breaker back. Fortunately it's an easy fix. Can you think of a reason why the footage would be running high?

Thanks so much for your time and input!

The voltage all depends on where you are along the line, and how accurate the electric companies equipment is. Some people at the end of the line, far from the start of the service, can experience low voltage.

Archived