Partial Re-Glazing at Cone 6

kmitch

I am a newbie to firing my own pieces. I fired this mug to cone 6. It is Coyote's Pistachio Shino. In trying to remove some glaze around the design so it would stand out I did not apply enough to this area resulting in this brown patch. This is how this glaze behaves with thinner application. Could I add a bit more glaze to this area and refire? If so should I use the same firing program I did originally?  

I am sure there are other threads about this topic but I would really appreciate advice to my specific situation since this a gift for a friend's upcoming birthday!! :) 

IMG_1119.JPG

Refiring pots is always a gamble, sometimes it pays off sometimes not so much. If you wouldn't give the cup away as it is then there isn't anything to loose by giving it a try. If you have a cooler spot in your kiln to refire it in I would put it there. Glazes melt more in a refire to the same cone. Since it's not a large flat piece the same program would likely work.The brown patch kind of looks like a heart, I think it looks nice as it is.:)

Welcome to the forums.

or if the glaze doesn't want to stick, you could make a little batch with the glaze and  a small amount of karo syrup and brush it on the spot. Some people use a touch of hair spray on the surface to brush. There are several ways to approach it. It the glaze has a fair amount of clay, it may brush right on without any problem. fire a slow glaze so you don't shock it.

Marcia

Archived