Help KIln was set to hold for 35 hours instead of minutes

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in that as a newer potter and old and now new kiln owner, I found that having a manual kiln taught me a LOT very quickly. For instance, my kiln sitter does not turn off, but my pottery was bisquing. I bought the witness cones and had to learn to look through the peepholes, as my idea of opening the top when on high was frowned upon here. :) When my pottery wasn't getting to Cone 6, the Cone 4 glazes almost took, so I knew there was a problem getting hot enough. I decided that rather than continue to fight with this kiln and pay the $700 it would take to fix it, I am using it for bisque only and bought a new computerized kiln.

My point is, though, that if I had bought a computerized kiln right away, I would have missed a lot of knowledge I got pretty quickly. I know that now with the computerized kiln, I am going to have to learn a lot again, but that is fine, because I love to learn. And I was also told that with the computer, I can set for special firings, etc., but I am glad I do have a basic understanding now of what happens in a kiln when I turn it on.

Peace,

Nancy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No of course I didn't use witness cones I am a new potter. It's not like I would know what to do with the results of the cones anyway. HAHAHAHA. How do you see in the peep holes...it is dark in there? I haven't used the cones honestly because I planned to start using cones once I learned and understood more about the adjustments on my kiln and what I want to adjust. I have been more focused on trying to get my stuff centered, stop the cracking ......my glazes to look decent. I was depending on a new kiln to do what it is suppose to do. I use the preprogrammed fast or slow glaze program so the only thing I have added was a preheat for bisque firing or hold time. Boy I feel like I have had my hand spanked, just wanted a little encouragment that maybe things will be OK......

Now I know what my daughter feels like when she called after making a mistake and I would fuss about why she should have known better. Wish I would have just held her hand and told her it would be OK no matter what......LOL.

--------------------------------------

Don't take the criticism badly. Sift through it and pick out the operational suggestions.

I am about to do my 4th glaze firing so we are in pretty much the same boat. I read and re-read the firing maual of my L&L. I first went over it and highlighted parts and always have it open when I fire. I added a hold time to my first firing and broke a casserole and ruined that shelf. I am now only doing the slow fire for glazes after a 3 hour preheat. I figured no bells and whistles till I know what I'm doing. Each firing is better than the last and even that disasterous first firing came out decently - except for one glaze. The best piece and most perfect outcome was one I was asked to make for a friend. Talk about beginner's luck. I was using new clay, new kiln and new glazes - too many variables but I had little choice since our studio where I take classes was flooded out in the fall and everything was lost. I do put witness cones in as the maual suggests and there's times when I can see them and times when I can't during firing. I check that I can before the kiln is turned on to be sure they are where I can see them. I use protective goggles to look in during the firing but the atmosphere is so heavy that I can't find the cones but there they are when it's cool and I open the kiln.

Since you are new to firing, just as I am, I strongly suggest that you sit with that manual and a highlighter and go over the "control" section again and all that goes before. It's a lot to absorb. One of my firings should have gone off at 11:00 pm and I stayed up till 3:30 a.m. before giving up and going to bed. Still not sure why it took so long but now start the firing as soon as I get out of bed on firing day. So, I learned from my mistake. You'll learn too. You can check your program segment when the kiln is firing and you can check the data before you start it. Just keep plugging away and take a deep breath the next time you fire and check everything more than once. I think each time I've started, canceled, read and started, canceled, read - just to be sure. When the firing is done, you'll see something like CPLT 12 hr 32 min. If you don't see that, you're still firing.

I don't want to tell you too much, in case I give you a bum steer. You don't need that. The manual is important; I can't stress that enough. Good luck. It would be interesting to see your pictures, for better or worse.

For those who are experienced, do you really weigh the pieces before you put them in the kiln? The manual has a sample log sheet and it asks for load weight. I haven't been doing that. I made up my own log that is more of a diary. I record what is going on each hour I check. I also read my electric meter before and after the firing, record that each time. It seems that the temperature doesn't always rise at the rate the manual said but the firing times are closer to the suggested time in the manual each time. I go in to class for a consult with the instructor after each firing. Our new kilns in the studio are L&L, as is her own, so that's a great help to me.

I have finally figured out how to resize my pictures so I have tried to reupload and get most of them in for those that were interested. there were just a few more but this is most of it.

Pretty darned good results, considering. You lucked out. I didn't notice anything about the shelves but the pieces were great. I expected a mass of melted clay. So, you will never forget this firing, I bet. Good luck and happy firing.

Well I will say where I was.......was sleeping!! I checked the kiln at 8:00 this morning but still didn't realize it was still firing. I thought it was just cooling down. It wasn't until I checked it at 10:30 did I realize that it was still clicking and firing. I am not how I programed it wrong because I did put the numbers for the hold on the right of the decimal but alas it is what it is and we will see.......I will probably wait up till about midnight tonight when it should be cool enough to open.........Not sure if I should take plugs out and let that help speed up cool down or just wait as the usual cool down happens......

Sorry about your mishap. But things happen. I do bet this will not happen again to you. I am also a nurse (besides a potter) and I had a nursing instructor tell me 36 years ago that if a nurse tells you they never made a medication error, they would be lying.

Same goes for firing a kiln. Anybody ever tell you they never messed up a firing, I would doubt their truthfulness.

Don't beat yourself up. I always fire my kiln at night and it turns out fine. So, good luck to you and enjoy while you learn!

Joanie

Archived