Another clear glaze question

Roberta12

I had a collaborative project with a friend.  I made the trays, she applied the black underglaze and did the sgraffito work.  I bisqued the pieces to 04 and sprayed them with clear.  All of the pieces came out with a white speckling and slight pitting.  I have not noticed this effect on my other work with underglaze and clear.  But I do not normally use large expanses of black.  Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?  We would love to do more of this work. 

Roberta

IMG_20170926_104014512 sgraffito.jpg

Looks like boron clouding in the whitish/blueish areas. Is the glaze thicker in those areas? Pitting can be from a few things. How clean was your bisque fire, were the pieces stacked in the bisque, vented or not? Could also just need a hold at the top temp to smooth the glaze over. Sometimes it's from overfiring. Since the pieces are all shallow and flat I would look at the possibility of them just not getting hot enough at the end of the glaze fire. I have a low coe clear that works well over black (Spectrum) ug if you want the recipe just let me know and I'll pm it to you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 9:33 PM, dangerouspottery said:

Min, I would love the have the recipe for that clear glaze that works over underglaze, if you don't mind.

Thank you!

Did you get the PM with the recipes I sent yesterday?

Archived