Is There A Substitute For Plastic Vitrox?

Pugaboo

I have a recipe and it calls for Plastic Vitrox. Is there a substitute for this? GlazeNerd to the Rescue?

RECIPE: PV BLUE

Plastic Vitrox - 54%

Gerstley Borate - 46%

Add:

Colbalt Barb - 3%

Copper Carb - 1%

If I have to special order the Plastic Vitrox I will but I am hoping I can substitute with the more common ingredients that I have already.

Thanks!

T

Oxide Analysis Formula

CaO 1.00%. 0.143

MgO 0.50%. 0.100

K2O 5.00% 0.426

Na2O 0.90% 0.117

TiO2 0.10% 0.010

Al2O3 12.70% 1.000

SiO2 76.50% 10.223

Fe2O3 0.50% 0.025

LOI 2.80

This is the chemical analysis of PV clay. Run your recipe on a calculator, and sub out additions until you match it. Just at a glance; I see dolomite and Custer being two that would replace it.

I wouldn't be using this for food surfaces. Have a look at the second chart, last column. Those are the suggested limits for a durable glaze, now have a look at the glaze levels of those, especially the boron.

My version using common materials in the first pic.

post-747-0-45212200-1498336291_thumb.png

post-747-0-99506800-1498336304_thumb.png

Pug:

I assumed you aimed the question to me because it is called Plastic Vitrox clay. Another case where clay was applied to a mineral. Like EPK, "plastic" kaolin: it is anything but plastic.

Type in glaze calculator, and free ones will pop up. Most use Insight. I use Glazemaster for several reasons: I can change how I view recipes to ten different settings. It has formula limits from Ron and John built in. It has a clay formulation module; which I can program with my own clay formula limits. Being able to write my own formula limits is crucial to my clay studies.

terry, i assume you asked about some recipe left by the last person in charge and that his recipe called for plastic vitrox and you do not have any.   

if that is what is happening, you just want something to replace it, right?  or perhaps a recipe for a glaze that has a similar color to make the students happy. 

can you send a picture of the glaze in question?  someone may have a suggestion for a substitute that will be better all around.

Archived