Kiln Hasn't Reached Temperature, Has Been Stuck Just Below For Hours!

Hi everyone, I'm really hoping you can give me some advice on possibly what to expect from this event.

Our kiln is electric and was set going yesterday for a bisque firing at 3pm after school finished, I came in this morning to find the kiln still on, hovering at 987*c, the target temperature on the electronic control was 1000*c before ramping down. I can only assume that its been stuck at almost the top temperature for around 8-9 hours.

The main problem being that the only option I've had is just to switch the kiln off and let it cool down, and if it was just my work I wouldn't be so worried, however the kiln currently contains final exam pieces from our students so I am very worried, I am new to ceramics and learning every day but this is something I've never encountered.

How will being held at so close to top temperature for such a long time affect it? Am I going to open the door to a kiln full of shards?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Don't think you will find a kiln full of shards but will probably find overfired pots. Could be a problem if it's earthenware, less so with midrange clay. Sounds like a relay stuck, time to change them. 

Archived