Shelter For Wood Kiln

fergusonjeff

I am seeking some advice on the construction of a shed for a wood-fired kiln.  The kiln is a basic catenary arch kiln roughly 93 x 51" and about 9' in max height at the top of the arch.  The chimney will extend through the metal roofing and I will use all angle iron within 18" of the chimney to support the roof.  I am planning a simple angled (flat) roof that will be about 3.5' above the top of the arch to the lowest wood beam.  I can make the structure a little stronger if I move the four support posts in a little closer to the kiln (thus reducing the span of the beams and the joists), but this puts the 4x6" posts as little as 28 inches in horizontal distance from the corners of the kiln.  Does this seem too close?  The kiln is all hardbrick interior with a variety of kaowool and softbrick insulation on the outside.  It still gets pretty toasty within a couple feet of the kiln.  My current thought is that this distance would be adequate but I am hoping someone has a little more first-hand experience with wood near cone 10-11 kilns. 

Thanks for any help

Jeff

The issue is not that they'll catch fire right away, but that over time the wood will dry out, lowering its flash point. Then it will catch fire. You could always put some rigid insulating board or even some cement board on the posts close to the kiln. The other issue with having the posts close to the kiln is whether or not they'll be in the way, a hassle to work around. You might be better off having them further from the kiln and increasing the size or quantity of the joists to give more strength.

Neil and Mark,

Thanks for the response.  I have done a little more research, and have come across many examples of much closer than I am planning.  I do plan to move them a little further, shift them a little more to allow access, and cover the posts with cement board with spacers for air flow.  Going to try to set the posts this weekend if it ever stops raining.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Archived