Anyone Know A Similar Glaze For Cone 6 Oxidation

oldlady

i believe the beautiful color at the edges is due to my spraying.  it is very thin at all edges and the color is gorgeous as it wraps around the oval.  i use only a white clay, little loafers, from Highwater.  

yes, the extreme closeup was to try to let you see the crackles way down inside the glaze.  the surface is smooth.  i am glad you could see it

the silica was purchased so many years ago that i could never identify it now.  it lives in a huge rubbermaid tub labeled by me "SILICA 325"..

the piece on the rim flaked off landing inside the bowl as i lifted the bowl into the kiln.  none of my glazes powder or flake off that way so it was very odd to me.  i would pm you but i think others might learn from the public discussion of my problem.  some may think powdering off when touched is normal.  it is not necessary, some of my just sprayed things could be used as a football without losing a bit of glaze

thank you for your responses.  tis, a puzzlement to you because of your specialized interest, to me it is a serious question.  should i give up on this glaze entirely?  

Lady:

I ran the recipe when it was first posted: but I also noticed before that the Nep Sy level. I know from experience any recipe with over 50% Nep Sy will violate KNao formula limits. Also knew it was low on silica: but that is fairly common with matte recipes. There are high silica matte recipes: but then you have to add higher amounts of boron (boric acid) to matte them out. You can matte a glaze rather easily: but it is not a food safe fix. The high sodium, low silica: with magnesium is creating the satin finish: mess with any of the three and the recipe changes.

Run the proposed fix and see if it comes into the range you want. If it gets close, we will tweak it some. If not, perhaps look at alternatives.

Nerd

I firmly believe that when clears and highly technical glazes are being used: Imsil A-25 silica should also be used. It does make a difference.

john, i don't know what happened to my post but i thanked you for the spearmint offer.  it covers fine texture and flattens it out.  it looks great on what you show because that is heavily textured and so the glaze pools in deep places.  it is a lovely color, but i just cannot use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lady:

Have a test kiln full of tests ( hey, is that why they call it a test kiln.) I have a c6 matte, satin, and gloss clear cooking, along with two of this olive color that has been alluding you. Past your deadline, but it still puzzles me. Have a satin black I needed for myself, and some other things I need. Have to get a color palette figured out.

Nerd

Test results:  satin breaking gloss.  Silica needs just a slight downward adjustment.

1.5% cop. carb   0.50% cop black

Brushed on, but glaze laid down on pattern very well.

Notice the pin dots on the clay in between the pattern? That is the canvas used in slab rolling being defined. I did not smooth the clay before adding the texture. That is how clear this formula is, and how well it lays down.

Nerd

Archived