Guitar And Ceramics

I am not sure where else to post this.

I just started learning how to play acoustic guitar. I am wondering if there are any otherS who also play instruments that affect sensation (calluses). I have noticed that he change in sensation in my finger tips. Light/delicate work is what is changing :( ... throwing rims/lids and sculpting facial features.

Any suggestions on how to do both without negatively impacting my pottery/sculpting?

(Crossing fingers that someone is out there)

Thanks!!!!

I play banjo, and I have some very thick callouses on my left hand fingers. Plus about 3 years ago I shattered the fingertips on the index and middle finger of my left hand, which has greatly reduced their sensitivity anyway. It doesn't really seem to affect my pottery making, though, because I already had callouses there from making pots for the last 23 years. You can try sanding the callouses down with an emery board and keeping up with the lotion to minimize the loss of sensitivity, but I think that in a short time you'll probably just get used to it. 

I play guitar and also throw pots. The only time my fingers were super sensitive was when I first began the guitar. It's amazing how hard it is on the finger tips until the skin toughens up. After a bit they were fine and never reduced the sensitivity I needed to throw. The only issue I have is that my iPhone often doesn't recgnize my fingerprint since the grog has smoothed them down.

I have scleroderma, and not having much feeling in my fingers really hasn't hindered my throwing much at all. I think once you do it enough the brain makes the connection with the muscles  and creates the feeling in your head. You just sort of know what your doing even though you can't feel much.

Foxden it is weird. I keep reading about sensitivity but they arent sore but less sensitive. I am learning to lighten how hard I am pressing down. That seems to be changing a bit. Maybe the sensitivity will change over time and I will have the same outcome :) Funny about the iphone probably not when you are trying to log in though.

Thanks for sharing!!

Josephe Fireborn I have connective tissue disease that affects my nerves so I am starting to think that is part of the reason i am reacting a little differently.

Muscle memory and neuroplasticity are wonderful things. I think my throwing will be okay but I am a bit more nervous about the impact on my sculpting.

This whole process is sort of pushing me to depend on my tools more which may not be such a bad thing. What i enjoy most about clay is direct contact with the medium. The sensory experience of doing art is what I enjoy _ immersion.

Thanks you for sharing!

Archived