Where To Buy Rice Straw Ash?

Guest JBaymore

Not that I know of... other than the places I buy it in Japan.  If you find it ... I'd like to know also.  I mainly use nuka (rice husk ash) but occasionally would like the straw ash also (different chemical composition).

I and a NHIA student of mine have been working a bit on getting a domestic supply of rice HUSK ash set up that is in a useable condition right from the main supplier.  At the moment, the supply they have is not in a physical condition that makes it suitable for decent glazes without ball milling.

best,

.......................john

Its not the same as the Japanese stuff but I by rice straw for the garden by the bail every spring(I just bought 3 bails)you could make your own.

Im in the Midwest so they don't grow rice here.  The best I could find is something like wheat, oat or rye straw.  That might just be the route I go.

Its a common thing here at  most farm supply stores as its weed free for mulch unlike wheat straw which has weed seed in it and rice is grown in a big way in the Big Valley(California)

call around where they sell alfalfa and wheat straw is where they sell rice straw-farm feed supply stores.

Rice hulls also are sold here.

Guest JBaymore

Seems like ash is hard thing to come by, still hoping that someone knows of an actual supplier I could contact.

http://www.greasweep.com/

That is one we are testing at the moment as I mentioned elsewhere.  As supplied so far in the form they are typically marketing... it is too coarse a material to be used well without ball milling first.  The finest version they have is very coarse.  Sintered a bit, I think.  From whatever process they are getting it as a by-product from.

The student who has been working on this also has said that they said that they can get it in other "formats".  We'll see how that pans out.

If you ball mill it.... it works pretty well. 

But it is also not loaded with carbonaceous compounds ... which is a key ingredient in the typical Japanese formations.............. and for some reason seems to have an affect on the fired look  a bit. The ash I get from japan is just about black or at the least very dark grey.   In theory... that carbonaceous material should be burning out completely early on in the firing not too far above 450F, .... before it can actively react with stuff like iron compounds in the glaze materials.  But this is ceramics... so all bets are off.  ;)

best,

........................john

You might want to bing/google your state".....rice farms"to see if there is one near you. The US is the largest rice exporters of the world. Or used to be. Check with your local county co-operative service, feed and seed store. Call your state agricultural dept. They should be in the state section blue pages and ask them.

Good luck

Alabama

Guest JBaymore

The samples of this stuff I have seen domestically produced are mainly used for generating heat energy to run power generation.  The temperatures that they burn the husks to cause some sintering and conglomeration of the ash.  So it is "gritty" as supplied, rather than the fluffy soft ash that comes from being burned in piles the "traditional" way. 

The fluffy carbonaceous ash works well.  The gritty stuff... not so much. 

That is why I mentioned ball milling above.  If you want to put in the extra processing work to that stuff.... it works.

best,

................john

Archived