Coiling

Help, I just can't manage to coil a pot. I have a commission for three plant potters and I can't throw the weight required to reach the height and width. I can't coil to save my life. I have coiled with some success using the interior of a mould which bisque fired well but on glazing went out of shape. How do I prevent this happening?

Start by throwing as big as you are willing to go. When it starts to stiffen, finish with coils. If you work on a bat, it will be possible to smooth out the coils with a slow speed on the wheel.

Coiling really isn't that different from throwing. The coiled clay can be stretched outward to the desired shape but is difficult to squish inward.

What are your dimensions? And shape?

You should be around here. There is an art center in Montgomery, Wetumpka, and Columbiana. There are also Ceramic Dept's at 4 colleges nearby: Alabama State, Auburn in Montgomery and Auburn University main campus, and Troy State.

Coiling takes practice, but you can build as large as you want. There was a town in Franch known for the hand built, 2000 gallon jugs, used for wine storage. Used once, they were discarded along the train tracks. They were built using scaffolding. I read one article on this place a very long time ago!

Good luck!

Alabama

Archived