I Have A Kiln...now What?

Mal

Hello.  My name is Mal.  I live in Ontario, Canada,  in a little (currently darned cold) stone house.  Professionally, I'm a sign carver/ gilder.  I have long been interested in making wheel-thrown pottery,  especially Bellarmine or Bartmann style salt-glazed pieces.  I hope to do this someday,  and recently I've been offered a kiln that has been used for,  as I understand--greenware firing.  I am hoping to learn if the kiln can be used for wheel-thrown or sculpted clay pieces,  or if it is designed only for the greenware mould-made pieces. I don't know anything about firing temps,  so please forgive me.   I am the novice of novices.  I worked with clay in university but it was never fired.  I love clay.  My land here is sticky with it,  lol.  But the chemistry and physics of it all are greek to me at the moment.  I hope my question doesn't sound idiotic.  I'm grateful for the kiln offer (from my daughter in law's mom) but I'd like to know if indeed it will further my plan  to make hand-thrown clay pieces.  No point in acquiring equipment I can't use....right?

Well, firstly, what kind of kiln is it?  I'm assuming an electric, which are the most common.  It should be able to do everything you want it to do short of salt firing (the salt is very corrosive and will ruin the elements).  The same kiln is used for firing greenware to bisque and glazed wares as well.  The only difference is the firing schedule and temperatures involved.

Welcome!

P.s.  Ontario's got a great ceramics scene.  Depending on your location, you can take classes/workshops from some very talented individuals.

Thanks,  Tyler,  for your swift reply!  I believe it is electric. I'm told it weighs a ton,  lol.   Beyond this  I know nothing. Here's the thing....My good friend and I have made a pact.  She wishes, upon her retirement (from hospital admin, )  to get into pottery. she's two years away.   So I sez to her---you procure a wheel and I'll get the kiln.  Together we'll make awesome things. She's still working,  so I'm ahead of the game in terms of the procurement.  We expect together to take some courses,  perhaps through Loyalist College....or St  Lawrence College, Brockville.  I'm hesitant to demand the specs of the kiln,  as it's an offer free-of-charge. I just don't want it to be a stumbling block to my ultimate goal.  I'm 50,  fyi.  I've hit a wall in terms of creative expectations.  I wanted to be a painter.  A sculptor.  Maybe someday.  But I do love the feel and potential of clay.

Start by taking a class or two. It would be helpful to know the manufacturer and model. Asking for this information is not asking much. If you don't know what it is, how do you know it's even suitable? Free or not. Does it currently work? If you have the make and model, you can probably get the specifications and user manual online. Then, since you are starting from scratch, find a community college or ceramic program in your area. You don't need your own kiln or wheel to get started. That's what classes are for.

Just google pottery classes and your city, or ceramics classes.. You'll be much better off if you start to connect with your local resources, take classes, develop your skills. You'll need to learn about clay bodies, techniques, glazes, firing temperatures, etc.

I'm not saying this to intimidate you and you don't have to know everything, but a beginner throwing class or, if you prefer, a hand building class or a few will teach you so much. From there, you'll be able to make much better use of all of the online resources.

hello, you are about to enter an exciting field and there is a lot to learn.  i have the feeling that you believe the definition of "greenware" is limited to low temperature eartherware wet clay made in a mold.  well, that is a part of the definition.  greenware is clay that has been shaped by whatever means the potter used but the clay has not yet been fired in a kiln to make it permanently take that shape.  greenware is simply dried mud.

if you could get a photo of the kiln, its measurements, the information printed on the label by the manufacturer, we can give more information on whether it is worth its price.  note:  the manufacturer is not "sitter" which is a mistake non-potters make often because they read the first visible label and do not look for more.  ask if it is a huge, heavy cube painted green or is it a metal covered many sided sort of cylinder. 

you have been given lots of good advice.  i would add a bit more.  your local library has a section on pottery.  most of the books you see there will be for collectors of various types of stuff.  look further for ones on making pottery.  find a thick one that covers a lot of territory and look for a glossary in the back.

also, read some of the posts on this forum about buying kilns.  some are really helpful.

I just opened a community oriented pottery studio. On the opening day, I had three people tell me they had kilns that they had never used once. They were afraid to turn them on.

Getting started in pottery is not easy. Take a class. Ask to help load the kiln and volunteer.

Hi---welcome :)  I wouldn't hesitate to ask about the equipment...even though the kiln is free, it is worth finding out more about it...at the weight most kilns are, you really don't want to transport it and install it only to find it is not what you want or need...and then you have to get rid of it. 

Archived