Strange Start To The New Year-Bus Tours?

Every year I have about the same schedule going into the New Year.

Close up and pack up the pottery booth on Xmas eve.

Take a week off along with my wife’s time off.

After new years start doing data entry and working thru the reports for our tax accountant. Clean up the studio and reorganize the van and put away the x-mas booth, lights etc. (it’s used only at xmas)

If its not raining I will prune the orchard and the ornamentals between tax prep

Now some years no one calls for pottery after Xmas for many months (I have lots of local gallery access to my wares)

Some years a few calls or e-mails-but that’s the exception

This year has been really different

The phone calls and e-mails have been coming in strong. I have shipped out pots made sales from the studio-galleries are calling-I have orders (not custom work) now for spring to ship

Now you may think great but I think I need a break.

Today’s call from a local senior center was the topper

Which is saying something as I have some very strange pottery calls in 4 decades about ceramics

The director asked if I would set up a bus tour with them as my name came up from some of the seniors. This is what happens I thought when you have been selling for over 40 years in one place.

I said no not because it’s not a good idea more because I’m a small studio and its just not big enough for a bus load of folks. Even if it’s the 12 seater style bus. I did make a suggestion to take them to our local clay arts center-it’s a better place for them anyway.

On a side note I stopped selling soup tureens a few years ago-the market just died. I had 4 left and I stopped taking them to shows. They have been here in a box for a few years.

A customer called yesterday and bought two today from the studio

It’s just been a strange start so far this year.

I like groups and bus tours.   I've never really promoted to this market but I get 12-15 every year.  My first group is coming next Thursday at 1:30.   They said 27 people.  Most groups are 10 to 20 people.  The largest group I had was 2 bus loads, 85 people.   That was a bit much.

One other point on this .

I do not have a retail setup at my studio these days.I do not want one now.

I did have studio sales twice a year for 19 years but stopped having them over 20 years ago

So when a customer shows up I have to dig out work thats packed up or they catch the kiln unload at the right time

Archived