What Your Worst

Back in my tall bottle phase (from which I am recovering nicely), I had joined three cylinders to make something about 30' tall.  While trimming/shaping, the family tabby, Bandit, watched as I slowly turned the pot while standing trying to add some undulated ridges near the top.  I was stepping away from the wheel for a look when I accidentally hit the top of foot pedal, instantly spinning the pot at a far-too-fast speed. Apparently, the sudden bolt of speed was too much for the cat and he pounced..slinging pot and cat into a nearby wall. The pot died instantly. Bandit developed a sudden phobia of the noise that the wheel makes when it speeds up and there is simply no recovering from that.

I'm guessing you meant 30 inches for the cylinder?....

Also, the "Stepping on the pedal" bit reminds me of a similar story my college instructor told me.  He was throwing a large vessel, when another class was going on.  He was standing on a stool working on the top portion.  The class was in awe of his skill.  He was feeling pretty good, until he jumped down on the pedal, and the wheel went into "Ludicrous Speed".  The vessel flew apart, a chunk hitting him in the chest knocking him back, while simultaneously deflating his ego.

Back in my tall bottle phase (from which I am recovering nicely), I had joined three cylinders to make something about 30' tall.  While trimming/shaping, the family tabby, Bandit, watched as I slowly turned the pot while standing trying to add some undulated ridges near the top.  I was stepping away from the wheel for a look when I accidentally hit the top of foot pedal, instantly spinning the pot at a far-too-fast speed. Apparently, the sudden bolt of speed was too much for the cat and he pounced..slinging pot and cat into a nearby wall. The pot died instantly. Bandit developed a sudden phobia of the noise that the wheel makes when it speeds up and there is simply no recovering from that.

I'm guessing you meant 30 inches for the cylinder?.... Indeed...roughly 30" (inches) tall with all pieces assembled. (Paul)

Also, the "Stepping on the pedal" bit reminds me of a similar story my college instructor told me.  He was throwing a large vessel, when another class was going on.  He was standing on a stool working on the top portion.  The class was in awe of his skill.  He was feeling pretty good, until he jumped down on the pedal, and the wheel went into "Ludicrous Speed".  The vessel flew apart, a chunk hitting him in the chest knocking him back, while simultaneously deflating his ego.  I've not been knocked over by a wheel launched projectile-pot, but that sudden deflation of ego is something that I have experienced...One learns, however, to quickly set ego aside and return to convincing the clay that one believes in the allusion that the artist could possibly be in-control. :wacko:

Peace,

-Paul ;)

Archived