Horse Hair supply?

I'm looking to give horse hair a try. I dont have any friends with horses. Beyond sneaking up on an unsuspecting cowboy, can anyone identify places to acquire horse hair?

I saw some web sites, but am always cautious of places I have no experience with.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Marc

I'm looking to give horse hair a try. I dont have any friends with horses. Beyond sneaking up on an unsuspecting cowboy, can anyone identify places to acquire horse hair?

I saw some web sites, but am always cautious of places I have no experience with.

Thank you,

Marc

I do have friends with horses but no one wants to cut the tail hair. I'll keep looking.

Guest alabamapotter

hey,

Even though I've owned horses I don't know much.... but, to shorten tails and such, you don't CUT the hair, you shuck it just like

getting rid of the silk on corn. Horses don't have nerve endings on the hair of the tail. If I were you, I'd probably ask the groomers for

the hair in the brushes and extract it from the barbed wire along the fence. I always give a piece of pottery in return for a natural clay source

or something as minimal as horse hair. You might want to check your area for rodeos, and county fairs, Farriers,, riding clubs, zoos, etc.

Thats alot of brushes which relates to alot of hair. At most tack shops, they sell horse tail extensions also.... Tack shops are probably on line

and if not, they travel with horse shows.

Good luck,

Alabama Potter

Hi,

I do a good amount of horsehair pottery. I found a great source of horsehair (and a lot of other free stuff) to be Freecycle. It's a regional discussion group where people either list things they want to get rid of, or things that they are looking for. And it's all free. I found a great source for horsehair through Freecycle and have a nice supply of mane and tail hair, and, no - you don't have to cut the horsehair, horsehair naturally sheds during grooming, and can be collected by anyone that owns a horse. Give it a try!

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US

Gary

Thank you,

Marc

• 2 months later...

I'm here because I don't know anything about horse hair pottery. It's interesting to see what's going on - hoping to learn! dry.gif

Camuam,

Its kinda long, and basic, but at our last Raku-o-Rama the local public access guy showed up and filmed a little doc.

There's some footage of a couple of the participants doing horsehair on a piece.

Cathi

I get horsehair from a local music store. They have used student cello and violin bows (the bows are made with horsehair). For $5 I get a bow with a good amount of hair. Find a music store that offers lessons for young kids and/or caters to school music departments.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc, yea Andy is right. Ebay is good place too look. I've seen them there a lot . They have buy now options and if you have the patients do the auction. Good luck.

Thank you,

Marc

Archived