Raised Enamel

Venicemud

China painters use a compound called raised enamel to create texture on glazed surfaces.  This is then fired(post glazing) to a very low temperature - around cone 018 or slightly higher.  It can be colored with China Paint stains to give colored texture.  Does anyone out there have a recipe for this compound?  It is commercially available but usually comes in very small quantities which makes experimentation on large surfaces a bit extravagant.

I've absolutely no experience in this area, but it seems that there may only be three ingredients

from: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-glaze/johanna-de-maine-creating-bright-textured-surfaces-with-raised-enamels-lusters-and-a-sandblaster/

Raised Enamel Process

Though fired to the same temperatures (about 1472°F/800° C), raised enamels differ from china paints in that they have more body and leave a raised line.

They are a mixture of low-fire frit, clay and tin oxide. While china paint suppliers carry them premixed, DeMaine prefers to make her own.

This is basically just a low firing glaze, but with glycerine or similar replacing some or all of the water so it can be painted onto a non-porous glazed surface.

Traditionally this has often been lead based, and this is probably still the case in industry, though the lead stasi on this side will probably jump on me if I were to suggest that you used lead yourself for this.

Archived