Kiln Wash

Hi people, can anyone tell me how often you should scrap down washed shelves. My last glaze firing had the kiln wash attached to the bottom (which I know probably wasn't waxed properly) but ares of the shelf where there was no placement are peeling. I've scraped off all the wash going down to the shelf itself and will wash before my next firing. Should I do this for all the shelves or just wait until they start showing the same lifting? Thanks

Kiln wash is not necessary at all; it is just like a protective case for your little expensive pocket computer. It serves the purpose of being a protective skin for your shelves.

Little drips will pop up from the washed shelf easily. Then a dab of wash can be put back to patch the spot. When the wash has been dabbed or started to flake to the point of being uneven, it can be fully scrapped and replaced.

--

The wax is just a resist to help make the much much important step of quickly sponging the bottom of glaze easier. Don't blame your waxing!

Kiln wash is not necessary at all; it is just like a protective case for your little expensive pocket computer. It serves the purpose of being a protective skin for your shelves.

Some clay bodies, especially porcelain, will stick to a bare shelf and pluck little chunks out of the foot of the pot. Wash prevents this.

As wash ages, it can begin to fuse a bit, and will stick to the bottom of pots a little bit. Wash has nothing to do with it, as it burns out in the first 600 degrees or so.

Archived