Opened Kiln Today. Hooray! Nearly Everything Good

isn't it a great day when things go right?   :rolleyes:  :P  :lol:

empty bowl supper is on Nov 13, a friday.  pots look really good.  stuck to the old standby blue slip carved on exterior, white glaze on interior.  got 20 good ones even though 1 or 2 are a little smaller than i like.  have to remember that darn shrinkage when i throw.  

plan on putting pics in the gallery, look for them in a couple of weeks if i spend 24 hours a day trying.

got to notify the restaurant that i cannot make the trays they want.  7 broken failures, 2 bad design failures, 6 poorly glazed failures add up to my decision to NEVER, N E V E R  agree to make a special order again.       (wait........i made that decision 25 years ago!!) :wacko:

isn't it a great day when things go right?   :rolleyes:  :P  :lol:

empty bowl supper is on Nov 13, a friday.  pots look really good.  stuck to the old standby blue slip carved on exterior, white glaze on interior.  got 20 good ones even though 1 or 2 are a little smaller than i like.  have to remember that darn shrinkage when i throw.  

plan on putting pics in the gallery, look for them in a couple of weeks if i spend 24 hours a day trying.

got to notify the restaurant that i cannot make the trays they want.  7 broken failures, 2 bad design failures, 6 poorly glazed failures add up to my decision to NEVER, N E V E R  agree to make a special order again.           (wait........i made that decision 25 years ago!!) :wacko:

actually, the cracked pieces broke in half.  i made a lot of trays but the glaze, one i have used for years, was too thin.  though i sprayed them evenly and carefully, some just did not have enough glaze to show color in places and were thin enough to feel the clay through the surface.  so i re-glazed and fired them and that is when they broke.  maybe i should have bisque fired these before glazing but that would not help with application,

i have made many things in this color and some came out so dark they were almost black.  others are pale.  no way for someone like me to predict what will come out of the kiln.  i do not fire often enough and my kiln is too large to test glazes  without producing ware to sell.  dipping glaze involves very large containers and mess i left behind years ago.

i am not noel, at high bridge pottery in england.  he tests things all the time.  and joe or grype, has tested lots of things.  naturally, the academic group has many tests behind them.  i just do not have the interest in all that chemistry.  and at 75 i am considering how much longer i want to do what seems like "work".

maybe i just need doc weathers thickness tool. but all over each piece?????? 

Haha, I just slap on a couple coats with my $1.49 bamboo brush and hope for the best! :D I did delve into chemistry while in college, and while I enjoy it, it's not my burning passion. I prefer the lazy method of just making my commercial lowfire glazes look fabulous. ;) My two terracottas have such a different composition that the glazes look TOTALLY different on them! In combination with my whiteware, it looks like I have three different glazes in one bottle. That is just too great. :) I guess it all just boils down to how the kiln gods are feeling that day... ♥♥♥

thanks, ray, it took hours to get it posted and is due only to the incredible patience of our member john malone.  if you look at the gallery, you will see some of the many things that came out of this firing.  (including some of the special order things)

Archived