Help Please. My Slip Cast Pots Crack At The Bottom

I am using a pre mixed stoneware slip.   I am casting in several different moulds, one part and two part.    During the initial drying before (and sometimes after) I remove from the mould, the inside bottom of the pots craze and crack. I am drying them out slowly and not in a warm room.   Why oh why oh why?   Can provide photo if required

I am using a pre mixed stoneware slip.   I am casting in several different moulds, one part and two part.    During the initial drying before (and sometimes after) I remove from the mould, the inside bottom of the pots craze and crack. I am drying them out slowly and not in a warm room.   Why oh why oh why?   Can provide photo if required

I have used pre-mixed and converted from plastic clay.  Both ^6 and not had this problem.  

I leave the slip in the mould for between 10 minutes in the summer to 25 minutes in the spring/autumn/winter/damp days.

Depending on the type of mould (mug with or without handle for example) I leave the casting in the mould for 24/38/72 hours.

How thick are your castings?

How dry are your moulds before you cast?

Archived