Value Of A Kick Wheel?

fruch

I took over a ceramics program at a high school. We currently have a kick wheel that we do not use. though it is cool to show the kids how it works we do not enough time on it to justify it taking up valuable space. Our local ceramic supplier said they would take it in on trade for a new electric kiln and asked me how much I would want for it. I have know idea what the value would be. Can anyone help me and give me a price point to start at. Thanks.

This is probably not a useful question for you, but why don't you use the wheel?  I think there are advantages to using a kickwheel for teaching.  One large one is that the wheel tends to slow down as the pot is being extended, which is very helpful to a beginner.  Also, exercise is good for young potters.  Finally, I think it's good to have that linkage with the history of potting, because I think it can help stimulate the imagination of a would-be clay artist.

Of course, I may be biased, since I used a kickwheel for over 40 years, which was, of course, impractical in many ways.

Archived