Lead Glaze Recipes (No Safety Lectures Please)

irrfin

1 hour ago, NatashaG said:

I come to this discussion because I would like to make Otto's texture, a vivid, opaque, scarlet glaze, the recipe for which is printed in Dry Glazes by Jeremy Jergen by 2009.

I find it really surprising that this book published well into this century has this recipe which requires 67% red lead without any mention that you readers will almost certainly not be able to get the main material. Nor does he offer a substitute, indeed i think there is an entire chapter on the subject. The actual book is at my studio so I cannot say for certain.

I am in the UK, I work in a shared studio; In Production in E10. Four kilns are electric and one is gas. There is extraction from the base of the electric kilns, the gas kiln has a hood which leads to chimney.

I very much doubt I would be allowed to use the glaze, but from this conversation it sounds as though white I might yet find an informed ceramicist who might enjoy experiments firing this glaze, I am highly unlikely to find the red lead.

Natasha

If you can get normal PbO you can make red lead oxide by calcining in a kiln.  I don't recommend it though, lead has this nasty habit of volatilizing and contaminating everything like the kiln brick, furniture, other stuff in the kiln, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some Red lead back in the day-it was used in raku work in the early 70s-I disposed of it in a community hazardous pick up day long ago-also did that with a new #25# bag of white lead.

On a side note the Golden gate bridge ws painted with red lead paint for 60-70 years before they sandbasted it off and made the same color with more mondern paints without lead. Same deal with Caldrere mobile sculptures.Red lead was pretty common in the 60's.

Archived