Opening Peep Holes As Kiln Cools?

I have a small, old duncan kiln with two peep holes. After I've fired my kiln I let it cool for about 12 hours with the plugs in the peep holes. Is there any reason to remove the plugs while the kiln is cooling -- or is it best to leave them in. I realize the kiln and pieces need to cool slowly to prevent cracking -- but would unplugging the holes half way through the cooling cause problems?

I usually wait till the temperature is below 400F before pulling out the peeps, and then it is only the top one. If you were to pull out all of them, you might have a warmer spot than indicated on the pyrometer and you could cause some crazing or cracking. Just my opinion.

Marcia

I fire my kiln with the top peep hole opened, when the firing is done I close that one and leave them all closed until controler is less than 100F. The slower the cooling the better. One of the virtues in overall ceramic practices is "patience". I have learned by experience that clay likes to take its time, glazes do too. Rushing is a "no=no" for me. Just another opinion.

Thanks for your comments. Marcia -- is there any advantage to removing the top peephole? (aside from faster cooling). And pompots -- my kiln has a hole in the top which remains open during firing -- but may I ask what the advantage to keeping the top peephole open during firing is? Reduction effect?

Not having a "kiln" vent fan leaving the top peep hole open while firing lets some of the fumes out of the inside of kiln.

I'm not sure I understand. Fumes escape my kiln through the hole in the lid, which is always open, and are exhausted by my exhaust fan. Are you saying I should be leaving the top peep hole open as well during firing? Actually, I did that by mistake once, and noticed no difference. Is there a useful reason to do this?

I don't have a vent in my kiln so there should be some air circulation for heath distribution and to get rid of the fumes that's why i leave that one open.

Thanks for your comments. Marcia -- is there any advantage to removing the top peephole? (aside from faster cooling). And pompots -- my kiln has a hole in the top which remains open during firing -- but may I ask what the advantage to keeping the top peephole open during firing is? Reduction effect?

Archived