How To Calculate Large Amounts Of Glaze

5 gallon buckets usually use 10,000 grams or a little less depending on the density of the ingredients. Use 90 to multiply your formula 0f 100 grams for 9000 grams. Wear dust mask.

For a 2 gallon bucket use 3,000-4,000 grams (multiply x 40) again depending on your density of ingredients. Ash will require less weight in the bucket because of its light density. Disregard my estimates if you are using wood or volcanic ash. Try half those amounts. Once you see how much your glaze ingredients weigh compared to mass, you will figure out how much will fill in the buckets. After putting all your dry ingredients into a container, put water into a glaze bucket to add the ingredients into the water.. Start with less water than half the amount of the powdered mass. You can always add more water. It is good to let the glaze rest in to water over night or for a few hours..especially if you are using gerstley borate. Stir the glaze with a jiffy mixer or by hand (with gloves). I have always checked my mix using a dry knuckle test. That is sticking ungloved dry index finger into the glaze and look at your knuckle wrinkles. Seeing a few wrinkles is good. Seeing well defined wrinkles means too much water. This is a method you get to learn from experience. If you add too much water , you have to wait and decant the water.

Marcia

Also, when you are calculating the percentages for colorants, just use the same multiplier for every ingredient.

In a class room 5 gallon buckets are common quantities. That also goes for production studios. If you are just starting out, you may want to use 2000 or 3000 grams.

It depends on several things. If you use a lot of glaze. If you spray or dip...spraying would use less that dipping. So think about what you plan to do.

Marcia

I usually using proportion ingredient and water, 1:1,4. I think it's better viscous than fluid. If too viscous you just add water. If too fluid, you must wait quite long for decanting the water off. In traditional way, i use stainless steel sieve for making homogenous (use 120 mesh). The result is satisfied enough..

im just starting to make my own glazes.

how do you calculate larger amounts?

I have set all of my glazes in a MS Excel spread sheet with two multipliers for the the formula, one is 5000 and one for 7500 grams multipliers of 50 and 75. If I need to have more, then I change the multipliers. Print out a fresh page when mixing, use marker to mark off each glaze as I go. Toss the page when all glazes on page are done. Simple.

Guest JBaymore

I have my glazes stored in the glaze calc /database program Insight. If you want to change amounts to mix you just hit re-total recipe and insert the amount of it you want to make, then hit "ptinmt mix ticket". Simple and fast.

best,

...................john

Archived